Worth spending money on clubs?

Romfordblue

Visit site
I am a 24 handicapper who has played golf for a number of years but not frequently enough to improve significantly. I have not spent much on clubs (I play with Hippo Energy Irons and cheap Dunlop woods). I drive the ball pretty straight and as long as my golf partners but wonder if I could improve my game with better clubs. As I don't play too much I would need to justify the expenditure at home!!!!! Any thoughts on whether I should and any suggestions as to which clubs to look at?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are you a member of a club and do you intend playing a lot more than you do at the moment or are you just happy playing every now and then with your mates?
New clubs won't make you play better. They make you feel better but at the end of the day it's the bloke wielding them, not the clubs.
I have a mate who plays off 11. Hits a lovely ball, a much better iron player than me. He plays with the cheapest irons you can imagine and plays fairly regularly. I think his are Slazenger clubs that he purchased one iron at a time from JJB sports for about £8.00 a club. You could put a £1k set of irons in his hands and I don't think he would hit the ball any better than he does now.
So if you want to spend the money go ahead. But I can guarantee that they won't make you play better.....only you can do that by having a few lessons and playing more regularly.

Romfordblue

Visit site
Not a member of a club and can't see myself playing more than a couple of times a month.

Do others share the view that spending on clubs is not worth it?

A

Alex1975

Cant say it better than Smiffy said it, hes spot on. If your happy, stay happy.

For me its different, I play any time I can and I think about playing any time I cant. For me every birthday and Christmas is a new golf club or two bacause for me its jam for my bread.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I concur with the rest of them, if you're happy then stick with what you've got. If you've got a itch to have some branded irons, just go the last years mode/second hand route to save yourself a few bob.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as above, its far to easy to fall into the " buy a better game " sales pitch by pros and manufactures.

This year ive changed every club in my bag, spent well to much and i can honestly say the best improvement was my putter & secondhand vokey wedge i paid £15.00 for.

if you feel you have money to burn, a good session of video lessons will iron out some niggling faults that could make a huge difference, much more than shiny new sticks.

I think last winter i paid £125 for a 7 lesson package. lesson 1, 3, 5 & 7 were all 45 minute video sessions. This saw my handicap drop from 20 - 15 although i know im playing better than a 15h/c, just cant seem to hold it together on days that matter.

This year i payed £300 for new irons hoping they were more forgiving.... i should have spent it on another 14 lesssons ;)