Worst meltdown in your golfing life?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not really a meltdown, more like a Tin Cup moment on the 17th at Milford GC. It's a 100y hole over water to a small green. I took a 13 as I kept dropping the ball in the splosh!
I've played that course a few times, those last 2 finishing holes are great!!

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First Sunday medal I played, got to the 5th after only being 2 over at that point (including parring the 3rd which is SI 1, which I got 2 shots at) which is a par 5. One of my playing partners commented on how well I was scoring. Cue top into the ditch in front of the tee (not to be found), huge slice right into thick bushes (never to be found), another top into the same ditch, so 7 off the tee. Eventually signed for a 15 on that hole (after also losing another ball in thick rough) - silly thing is that, even with this, still got a handicap cut as played well for 17 holes. Fun days!!

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
A couple of winters back I walked off the 12th green 1over gross (off the yellow tees mind) and then I started over thinking shots, finished up 8 over. Gutted.☹️

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Was a society day that ended up at Snainton's little par 3 course. I was heading for 9 holes in the very low 30's, and then took an 11 at the 9th.

I did win the pile of poo award though.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember having the round pf my life one day.

I had started with 3 pars and had gotten up and down out of bunkers on the 1st and 2nd holes. At the time I was probably a 27 handicapper who had hardly broken 100 having only taken up the game a year or two before. I was buzzing and felt that every shot I hit was going to where I wanted it.

On the 4th hole, long par 3 I had hit a decent 3 wood but just not caught all of it and landed centrally, around 20 yards short of the green.

Of the others players on that hole, two were right up level with the green and another guy had hit is left into a burn / trees and was planning to drop one down there if he didn't find it.

I walked up and saw a little Nike swoop on my ball and plomped the ball into the middle of the green. Then the guy who had hit his ball left walked up to a ball further down closer to the green and said 'that's not my ball'. Turned out it was mine and I had played his ball which had miraculously bounced out of the hazard or hit a tree and rebounded back into play.

I always check my ball but on this occasion we were both playing a Nike and I had felt certain I was the only ball in that part of the course.

Needless to say my game fell apart after that and I reverted to my usual hacking about and barely playing two good shots in a row.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southerness kicked my backside.

After 12 holes decided would be less stressful to walk the rest of the round.

Not sure I made double figures

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club champs I was 1 under at 17th in fairway bunker only a wedge hit it lovely just left of the pin tucked behind a bunker.
It hit a sprinkler head and went oob , drop in bunker , out short , chip ,3putt. For 8.
Lost by one shot I was not happy.
But these things are sent to test us but I failed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played last week and had 19 points on the front nine in an 18 hole comp. we were in a three ball and I was really flowing. 19 could of been 23. On the 10th another guy joined us which had been sorted early that morning as he could not get there for the front nine. After the tenth which I picked up another two points, something started stirring inside. The pace on the 10th had dropped massively. A couple of PP were having a nice chat and golf seemed to have been forgotten about. It continued on the 11,12,13 and 14 th hole. We were playing at a snails pace and my blood was boiling.people behind were catching up. On our 14th I had smashed me drive and 3 wood and was 130 yd from the pin. I was stood around waiting for a couple of mins to play my approach shot and I just couldn't calm meself down. I eventually topped a 7 iron and came off with two points which could of been 3 or 4. If that wasn't bad enough me soddin front wheel fell off me trolley walking off the 14th. If it had been anyone else I would of walked off there and then. I had mentioned to one of the lads about the pace of play. And he agreed. I was the only one who had a chance of having a decent score and no one else seemed bothered. I came off with another 15 points to scrape into the BZ. I was bloody seething, I was busting a gut to try and get a cut and it seemed for the first time that coz the other three were not scoring it wasn't serious. Maybe it was partly me but my flippin head sent me into a meltdown.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a junior many years ago, i was a 24 handicapper. Was playing an open boys comp and was level par after 9 gross!!! Mega pressure. Lol stuffed it on back nine played to handicap😂😂😂😂 for 9 holes i had it won

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have walked off the course. I simply didn't enjoy it, I was conscious of starting to be a pain the backside and my golf was abject. I wasn't proud of walking off but it's suppose to be fun (a contradiction given the complexities of golf) and on that day it wasn't

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I finished with 3 doubles last week to tie my pb of 80. I’ve certainly finished a round worse than that before, but not when it’s mattered! Total bottle job!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The day of Princess Di's funeral we were due to play a Medal.
Only 2 of us turned up to play and off we went.
Got to the 11th - a short dogleg right withOB all the way either side.
Decent 6 iron to the bend and then had my one and only dose of the Barclays and put 5 balls in a row 45° right and OB.
Walked the rest marking the other guys card, didn't hit another shot u til the next week when I went out and shot +3:LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a mini meltdown today. Hit a bad shot on the 6th and suddenly couldn't hit anything. Didn't score on 8 and lost a ball on 9. Topped it 20 yards on 11 and 13. No idea where it went but it was a long day and a medal looms tomorrow

Wolf

Visit site
Think my worst was in a 2 day comp when I was a junior as a 15 year old. It was our Major junior comp aptly named the Junior Cup!

First time round was amazing finished +2 gross off the men's white tees which was 6 under my handicap of 8 at the time in pretty bad weather, was the overnight leader by 5 shots gross and net so was on course for a nice win as long as I just played sensible golf on day 2 the next day.

Cue day 2 and good weather, played great golf again only 2 over gross after 16 holes with a fairly straight par 4 17th only 349yards and a short par 3 18th hole to finish. Hit a massive hook of 17th tee OOB not once but twice so ended up 5 off the tee and finishing the hole with a 9! Went to the 18th feeling a little flustered hit a great iron shot but over clubbed ended up going long straight OOB onto the club balcony, meaning 3 off the tee and a double bogey 5...

In 34 holes I'd only dropped 4 shots to par,.in my final 2 holes I dropped 7 shots, meaning I missed out on the Net prize by 1 shot and lost the gross on countback... never did then win that competition after that either ended up with a massive mental block because of it...