Worse golfer on the range!

eddie_1878

Visit site
Seems somewhat of a paradox I know, as even a google search corrected me to suggest I should’ve said ‘worse on the course’! But there we have it.

I’ve recently started playing again this summer after 8 years out. My first round back ended up a disappointing 114, but not unexpected I suppose. My last round was an 88, so going in the right direction, regularly scoring around 90 but I’m scoring high 80’s more regularly now.

Got some lessons to sort out my strike as it was terribly inconsistent, especially mid-long irons. Changed my grip to neutral from strong and almost instantly I was hitting my irons really really well, range and course.

Unfortunately my last couple of visits to the range have seen me hit the ball like a beginner on anything above a 1/2 swing. I’m striking the mat before the ball, topping the ball, slicing it, shanking it- the lot! I’m glad to say I hardly do any of the above on the course. My miss is a hook if anything.

Anyone else find this too? It’s so frustrating when I plan on going to make a technical tweak and work on a specific part of my swing but find myself having to almost start from scratch, no pun intended.

What’s worse is when I got home I had a few swings in the garden and they felt great, which is generally how I feel on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'm exactly the same. On the course I'd be doing ok, then I'd go down the range and hit 25 shanks from 50 balls. I had no idea why, whether it was the mats, the alignment, the lack of a proper meaningful target to aim for. I never really got to the bottom of it so I just don't go to the driving range anymore. Problem solved. :LOL:

bwstokie

Visit site
I feel your pain - I’ve played today and it was a combination of truly sublime to down right shocking! Split the fairway, approach to 20 feet, 1 or 2 putt, easy as you like then wild slice, top, fat even a bout of the unmentionables!

That’s why I’m not a scratch golfer and probably never will be - far too inconsistent!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are hitting a plethora of bad shots the simple (and boring) answer would be get another lesson. There is clearly something amiss and from bitter experience if you try and self-diagnose you can end up chasing your tail

eddie_1878

Visit site
If you are hitting a plethora of bad shots the simple (and boring) answer would be get another lesson. There is clearly something amiss and from bitter experience if you try and self-diagnose you can end up chasing your tail

Yeah that’s now the plan I’m afraid, I’ve got one left of the 5 I purchased but I was holding it back for something more specific to work on in future...but it’s no use trying to dig myself out of it I suppose.

Worse thing is I have full confidence I’ll be fine on the course on Wednesday!

Golf, you’ve got to love it!

eddie_1878

Visit site
Yeah I'm exactly the same. On the course I'd be doing ok, then I'd go down the range and hit 25 shanks from 50 balls. I had no idea why, whether it was the mats, the alignment, the lack of a proper meaningful target to aim for. I never really got to the bottom of it so I just don't go to the driving range anymore. Problem solved. :LOL:

Not going is very tempting! The desire usually arises when I see something useful on YouTube I may be able to apply to my game. By the time I remember what I’m there for I’ve usually only got about 8 balls left!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not going is very tempting! The desire usually arises when I see something useful on YouTube I may be able to apply to my game. By the time I remember what I’m there for I’ve usually only got about 8 balls left!
I always struggle on the range. I think it‘s lack of adrenaline due to hitting shots with no consequence. Even in the nets before I play I’ll hit 9x 6 iron and 9x 5 woods probably shank 2 at least and top 2 as well. If I do go which to be honest is usually to escape the office, I’ll get 30 balls and practice hitting different shot shapes just to keep it interesting.

Diamond

Visit site
I prefer the range because I can implement what I have learnt in my lessons. I can’t do this on the course And end up going back to bad habits.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I definitely hit the ball better on the course than the range. I think for me it is the time between shots on the course that help, whereas on the range you're going to be hitting at least 1 ball a minute.

It also depends on your mindset - I am probably a little hard on myself at the range but I have a friend who sprays all over the place, hits 4 or 5 good shots out of 50 and convinces himself that he had a good session. I know Rotella would say that his outlook is the one you want, but I can't fully agree with that.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm currently having the opposite problem. Go to the range, hit it consistently well. Go to the course, it all falls apart. Have been suffering with this for the last 6 weeks, with the odd good round just to keep me guessing.

The Fader

Visit site
With the number of self appointed swing experts you hear at the range - surely one of them can help!!;)

If not, collect up all their BS and start a mushroom farm

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a simple rule for the range/practice ground -

if I was consistently hitting the same bad shot and could not work out why then I stopped because all I was doing was ingraining a swing fault.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swinging too hard at the range... Each club has a distance and the range doesn’t reinforce that, it’s all about maximum distance.

Try to hit 80% speed shots only (still full swing though, just slow it down) at the range for a bit.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Swinging too hard at the range... Each club has a distance and the range doesn’t reinforce that, it’s all about maximum distance.

Try to hit 80% speed shots only (still full swing though, just slow it down) at the range for a bit.

Could very well have something to do with it. I noticed i was finding it hard to get loose yesterday, was gripping it harder than usual etc. Again this is a range only thing.

If I wasn’t trying to establish a good foundation for technique to use going forward I wouldn’t even bother with the range really, but I think it’s vital at this stage. Never really seen the course as a good place to sort out mechanics!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The range is good for block practice and refining technique. Having said that there have been times when I've gone and wanted to work on a change or hone the swing and been rubbish. It wasn't even as though I was hitting ball after ball nut was stopping between shots and rehearsing what I wanted to work on. Sometimes, tempo and technique don't align. No different to being on the course.

For more specific work such as pitching yardages and distance control and short game work then for me the practice ground off grass wins every time against hitting off a level range mat