Working on my swing

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Tim,
How is your ball flight and consistancy?
You have a great backswing, good width and rotation. You are getting unbalanced and off plane in your downswing though.

You are letting your right shoulder drop down so the club is dropping too far inside, you then get out of balance and position in the follow through when you try to recover the position, your chest is lifting too early and pointing upwards making you flip your wrists at the ball. I would guess you are hitting some fat and thin shots and having problems with direction.

You need to allow your shoulders to rotate around your spine tilt, allow your right shoulder to turn back under your chin in the downswing so that your chest covers the ball longer. This will allow you to swing down more through impact and create a more penetrating ball flight.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hi brain

yes that does help and makes sense,

i'm trying to develop a later hit in my swing by holding the club back a little longer, i think i may have over cooked it if you think its coming from the inside too much.

your right about my spine angle something else i'm trying to work on, i've always struggled to maintain it through out the swing.

you say my wrists are flipping at the ball, i've heard people often do this to "save" a shot

can you tell me what the difference is between flipping the wrists over to save a shot, and flipping the wrists over as a natural part of the release

thanks

tim

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mainly agree with SocketRocket's analysis. From my point of view, your downswing is started from the shoulders not from the lower body. Coming into impact, you can see you are further tilting away from the ball as your head moves left in the vid. The impact position is good, if you were hitting a 3w ;) For the iron, the hands should be in front of the ball, giving rise to a compression hit and better flight. The follow through with the hands in front of ball will allow the forearms to rotate naturally. Your current impact position (hands level/behind ball) is the 'flicking' talked about above as the club head is appearing to try and flick the ball into the air as the clubhead has reached the swing arc bottom and is on its way up.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think its all been said. It looks pretty good.

I would work on feeling over the ball at impact and not behind it (the feeling of the shoulders starting the downswing and not the hips/legs, as said previoously). Take a divot would be a good focus. You might need to move the ball back a fraction in your set up which would help this.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
thanks for the advice guys

this might explain and why my short & mid irons tend go so high.

Last edited:
T

thecraw

Thers's currently only three people on this forum that I would take advice from in relation to a golf swing. Thankfully two of them are PGA professionals.

You mention your taking lesons stick to what the pro tells you not someone on a golf forum who may mean well!

A

Alex1975

Thers's currently only three people on this forum that I would take advice from in relation to a golf swing. Thankfully two of them are PGA professionals.

You mention your taking lesons stick to what the pro tells you not someone on a golf forum who may mean well!

Who is the other PGA pro and who is the person you trust that is not?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Who is the other PGA pro and who is the person you trust that is not?

probably Jason Dransfield- very nice chap and golfer. I think when someone asks on a golf forum for advice its open to all to comment, its up to the OP to filter what he wants so its not very kind to poo poo other peoples requested advice.

I've had pro lessons which were rubbish and amateur advice that was spot on, it was me who decided what was right or wrong of course

T

thecraw

Very much doubt that they were rubbish, more likely you didn't click with that pro or didn't like his way of explaining something.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Very much doubt that they were rubbish, more likely you didn't click with that pro or didn't like his way of explaining something.

no, it was rubbish! didnt let me hit one ball so no idea of flight etc and insisted I had my hands and shaft level with the outside of my left thigh.........

T

thecraw

So basically you didnt click with their method of teaching.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So should we trust your opinions and why if you are not a PGA Pro. I agree with the previous post that if you ask for advice on a Golf website then you must accept that people will try to help, mostly with the best intent in mind. Also, just because someone is not a PGA Pro it does not mean they do not have good knowledge on golfing matters. It's not Rocket Science, not even 'Socket Rocket Science' :)

T

thecraw

Your dam right I wouldn't trust any Tom Dick and Harry on a golf forum.

Ive got a higher in biology, would you trust me to remove your appendix or would you rather go to a professional in that field.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your dam right I wouldn't trust any Tom Dick and Harry on a golf forum.

Ive got a higher in biology, would you trust me to remove your appendix or would you rather go to a professional in that field.

As I said, it's not rocket science and certainly not brain surgery, Its hitting balls with sticks. Did you ever see Moe Norman hit a golf ball, now he didnt even have a certificate for swimming a width but he could hit a golf ball straighter and more consistently than anyone. Bobby Jones was an accountant, Lee Travino never had a golf lesson in his life, Harry Vardon, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, I could go on and on, they all learned golf by digging the dirt. Would you allow any of these to post on the forum?

T

thecraw

As I said, it's not rocket science and certainly not brain surgery, Its hitting balls with sticks. Did you ever see Moe Norman hit a golf ball, now he didnt even have a certificate for swimming a width but he could hit a golf ball straighter and more consistently than anyone. Bobby Jones was an accountant, Lee Travino never had a golf lesson in his life, Harry Vardon, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, I could go on and on, they all learned golf by digging the dirt. Would you allow any of these to post on the forum?

Totally different era my boy. Like comparing a Morris Minor with a Ford Focus.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally different era my boy. Like comparing a Morris Minor with a Ford Focus.

My Boy :) I have nearly 30 years on you. So you dont think Ben Hogan, Sam Snead or Lee Travino could make it on tour these days, eh! I still have not seen a golfer hit a golf ball as straight as Moe Norman, he shot 59 three times on tour. Ben Hogan at his prime could still lead the modern tour and he never had the benifit of modern equipment.