Woods gets 2 shot penalty - did it move?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He says that the ball oscillators and went back to it's original place of rest. Talking bull I you ask me, the ball clearly only moved in one direction.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think that is harsh to be honest, the ball seemed to settle more than roll and considering you can move the ball to identify (I know, different scenario), I'd be sure you couldn't replace it any better than it ended up.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hard to say. Tiger would have been looking DOWN at the ball, not from the same view as the camera.

It moved and he took his penalty, trial by camera again. We can't be entirely sure that he was even looking at the ball, he might have already been looking at what other bits he might be able to remove....

OUT OF INTEREST
What happens if you have your eyes closed when you pull a leaf away... you'd never see the ball move (or even oscillate) and you'd never be able to call a penalty on yourself :whistle: ....(unless you opened your eyes and the ball is now resting against your foot!) :p

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
He clearly knew it moved because he stopped removing loose impediments at the point it moved when it was still surrounded by them!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
He clearly knew it moved because he stopped removing loose impediments at the point it moved when it was still surrounded by them!

Perhaps he thought.. "that oscillated, I'd better not remove any more stuff 'cos it's going to roll if I go near it again"

:mmm:

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get your beating sticks here, come and get 'em, top quality beating sticks for sale!

He thought it oscillated and the tv cameras showed it didn't from a different angle. He took his penalty and plays on.
If it had happened to Rory then nothing would have happened as it wasn't shown on camera with him so far down the leader board.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looked like it moved and so a penalty, but how many other players in the field would have a freelance camera man following every move they make. To then use this as evidence seems inconsistency across the field.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why didn't he just call a rules official and say I think it may have moved but I'm not 100% sure is there anyway you can check back on a video replay.

They have the luxury of having rules officials and the ability to check video replays so why not use them.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's ridiculous really, it never left it's position, the lie wasn't improved, some folk can't even see the slight movement anyway.

How many times has a ball gone into a crowd lining the fairway and ended up in a way better position than it should have without penalty? The rules of golf can be pretty stupid at times.

I personally think if Tiger genuinely thought he'd earned a penalty he'd have called it.

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's ridiculous really, it never left it's position, the lie wasn't improved, some folk can't even see the slight movement anyway.

How many times has a ball gone into a crowd lining the fairway and ended up in a way better position than it should have without penalty? The rules of golf can be pretty stupid at times.

I personally think if Tiger genuinely thought he'd earned a penalty he'd have called it.

Totally agree.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only fair answer is every shot, by every player is filmed and reviewed before the end of every round with any fouls not admitted by the player should be shot after signing his card.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only fair answer is every shot, by every player is filmed and reviewed before the end of every round with any fouls not admitted by the player should be shot after signing his card.

Hardly the point is it? Shall we just let him off in case somebody elses ball has done it off camera?

The ball moved = Penalty.

Hes lucky he didnt get DQ for signing for a wrong score.

If he couldnt see that move there is something wrong with his eyes.

Last edited:

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Must admit I didn't see it in real time. Its karma anyway they get penalised for things the eyes can't see but have spotters to find their balls in the rough.