Woburn marquess

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finally got my prize of a 4 ball from winning the club champs last year. Myself a 16 handicap and two young professionals went to play.

First impressions when we turned up was "is this it? We must be in the wrong place. It looks like a leasure centre". So we entered the main entrance and was instantly taken back by how nice it looked inside. We was instantly welcomed with a big smile from the receptionist and told to report to the pro shop.
The chap in the pro shop was very helpfull and friendly. He gave us a full brief of what and where to go. I also have to add that the pro shop prices where very respectable and didn't get the feeling we where being robbed.

I walked outside to greet my other two friends. They said " is this it!!!!" i laughed and said " wait until you see inside.

We then headed down to the practice area to hit some balls on the range. I was disappointed to see that they use entry level srixon range balls rather than practice balls that i would expect from such a premier venue. Unfortunately the disappointment didn't end there. The range was dreadful. No mats to hit off, just a long bumpy green carpet and nothing to aim at apart from a bland boring field. Infact i didn't hit all my balls.

We then walked to the first tee. What can i say...... A stunning opening hole. The disappointment from the practice facilities was quickly forgotten and off we went. The course was truly amazing. Every hole was different and had its own character. i usually find most courses have a series of boring holes, but not the marquess. The 7th is probably the best looking golf hole i have ever played.

The greens however where very disappointing. I genuinely haven't played greens that slow in my life. They looked like they hadn't seen a mower in a few days.
The hole's themselves where completely battered by golfers leaning the pin on the lip. some of the holes where that bad they weren't even circular anymore.
Also, to say there was unrepaired pitchmarks was an understatement. I imagine this infuriates the members !!!!

With the round finished we went for a snack to eat. I baught the round and was dreading the bill. However, 4X pints of cider was £20. Not bad considering the belfry ass rape you for £25. i decided to go with the legendary woburn burger and was not disappointed. The food, service, price and atmosphere was fantastic.

I would like to return and play the other courses and have another stab at the marquess when the greens are better. Even the best courses have a bad hair day.

Overall a great trip and well worth the journey

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up Hovis. It's a shame the greens were so bad and wasn't the experience I had there, although the last game on the Marquis was straight after a storm had passed through leaving a trail of destruction for the forum meet. The forum has done a couple of Woburn meets and I'd be one of the first names down for another as I really like the place, the food has always been excellent and it was, coincidentally, the venue that I last chatted to RickG!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up Hovis. It's a shame the greens were so bad and wasn't the experience I had there, although the last game on the Marquis was straight after a storm had passed through leaving a trail of destruction for the forum meet. The forum has done a couple of Woburn meets and I'd be one of the first names down for another as I really like the place, the food has always been excellent and it was, coincidentally, the venue that I last chatted to RickG!

It was clear by the condition of the rest of the course that the poor greens was a minor blip for them. I would guess that the greenkeepers attention was taken up by the duchess as they just help the senior open there. Saying that, cant be too hard to run a mower over them. When you hit your put you could actually hear the grass brushing against the ball as it rolled along

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It was clear by the condition of the rest of the course that the poor greens was a minor blip for them. I would guess that the greenkeepers attention was taken up by the duchess as they just help the senior open there. Saying that, cant be too hard to run a mower over them. When you hit your put you could actually hear the grass brushing against the ball as it rolled along

It's a lovely course, but given the cost of green fees there, you should expect immaculate condition and I would have mentioned it afterwards

S

Snelly

Nice review. for me it is the best course at Woburn by some considerable distance.

On the occasions I have played there, the greens have been beautiful so I think you were unlucky.

I agree about the leisure centre comment though - the clubhouse is a bit of an eyesore from the outside!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice review. for me it is the best course at Woburn by some considerable distance.

On the occasions I have played there, the greens have been beautiful so I think you were unlucky.

I agree about the leisure centre comment though - the clubhouse is a bit of an eyesore from the outside!

But the food has always been pretty good

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a lovely course, but given the cost of green fees there, you should expect immaculate condition and I would have mentioned it afterwards

It would have been difficult for me to say " thanks for sorting me out a free round but I'd like to complain about the greens''

Otherwise i would have

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Marquess is a great golf course. Played it twice now, 1st time was in glorious sunshine and it was a real treat.
2nd time was earlier this year and it was tough. Very wet, and playing very, very long.
I would love to go and play it again during the Summer months

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first hole (IMO) and 18th are comfortably the worst holes on the course as well ironically.

Absolutely love it there.

Would rank it -

Marquess
Duchess
Dukes

D

Deleted member 15344

The first hole (IMO) and 18th are comfortably the worst holes on the course as well ironically.

Absolutely love it there.

Would rank it -

Marquess
Duchess
Dukes

Other way around for me

Dukes
Duchess
Marquess

The marquess is overplayed and becoming a mess - the other two for me are more visually nicer and it better nick

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I remember my first visit to Woburn...drove down the night before and called in for a look before going to the hotel. Stood on the first tee of the Duchess Course at dusk on a beautiful summer evening and thought.....

..............Strewth!! That's narrow! Pretty sure I spent the rest of the night worried about what to hit off the first tee!

Sometime later a mate asked what do you hit off the tee on the Duchess?... I said "trees mainly!"

D

Deleted member 1418

Other way around for me

Dukes
Duchess
Marquess

The marquess is overplayed and becoming a mess - the other two for me are more visually nicer and it better nick

I prefer the Duchess out of the three, with the Dukes 2nd and Marquess 3rd! However I have to say that the half-way hut on the Marquess is the best I've experienced so far!

Love Woburn - have never had a bad experience there and always look forward to it every time I go back.

D

Deleted member 15344

I prefer the Duchess out of the three, with the Dukes 2nd and Marquess 3rd! However I have to say that the half-way hut on the Marquess is the best I've experienced so far!

Love Woburn - have never had a bad experience there and always look forward to it every time I go back.

The halfway hut on the marquess is stunning and it does help with lots of free drink with Nespresso ;)

D

Deleted member 1418

However would be interesting to put together a composite course together, taking the best holes from each course and see which comes out on top. For me the first three would be:

1st Duchess
2nd Marquess
3rd Dukes

Would be interesting to see which course has the most holes in the 18!

D

Deleted member 1418

The halfway hut on the marquess is stunning and it does help with lots of free drink with Nespresso ;)

Yes mate - fortunately it wasn't Nespresso! The fella running the place was very happy that Blundell and I choose Guinness and Asahi as our pre-round tipples!!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
i think it depends on which golfer you are.

Marquess is big and grand, i like long wide golf courses. Duchess felt like the prettiest of the 3, but Dukes always felt a little bland to me (with a pants 18th hole).

I'd happily play either of the three though every day :D