Winter Yardage

adiemel

Head Pro
Visit site
I know that the colder weather over winter has affects ball flight and distance. But how much yardage do you lose. Do you lose a club length. I have never played over winter so am not sure what to expect in the loss of distance.

D

Deleted member 15344

Will depend on the conditions you are playing in.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know that the colder weather over winter has affects ball flight and distance. But how much yardage do you lose. Do you lose a club length. I have never played over winter so am not sure what to expect in the loss of distance.

I have practiced first thing in the morning about 6.30 in dry conditions and I struggled to hit my wedge 115 yards.

In the summer a smooth wedge is 122 so I would say a clubs length.

If you can practice regularly just keep testing the conditions.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Golf balls work best at 70°f and above.
For the same quality of strike and ignoring all other factors you'll lose approximately 1 yard for every 3°f below 70.
So, say, at 70° your driver carries 230 yards.
At 32°f ( 0°c) you'll lose about 12 yards so carry about 218...
Obviously wind, rain, extra clothing etc will have an effect too.
Ball park figures but gives you a reasonable idea..

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Imurg summed it up nicely, but it's also worth remembering that there is very little run on landing so you can add another 1/2 club or so to compensate for that.

The bottom line is don't let your ego get in the way, if you have to hit 5 iron when you'd normally hit 7i then do it.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site

When the proper cold weather and not nice conditions start, for me its usually 1 club extra but sometimes it can turn into 2 clubs also

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

You have the technical response but I would emphasise that you should always be aware of the realities from your early shots in any round - by the third hole of any round you should have all the information you need to have exact condition related yardage adjustments for the day.

I see far to many people ignore this information all the way round!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I noticed a considerable difference yesterday morning when we were comfortably into single figure temperatures, as Duncan says, within 3 holes I started to club up but it does play games and creates doubt in your mind at first but you have to trust your gut, less flight in the cold, less run due to early damp & dew meant at times I clubbed up double at times.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well I used to go on the fact things would not run on, in the summer I would land on the front and roll on. In the winter I need an extra club as soon as the ground starts to get a bit sticky. As I often underclubbed by a shot anyway in summer (overestimating my ability) I feel confident hitting an extra club.

I would say it varies by a club or two (same wind conditions, if its both the cold and not rolling like summer.

Hopefully I can wangle a weekend where we can get a game in, weather permitting! Would love to have another crack at your course!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have found that using Callaway Super soft balls really helps in Winter. Sure they are still affected by the wind, rain and other honking conditions. However i find that the low compression really helps to negate a lot of the symptoms connected with low tempratures.

I have zero scientific research that backs my theory up other than perception and feel mind you.