Winter rules

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today I mishit a tee shot and end up on the wrong fairway but with good line through the trees to the correct fairway. I was just about to pick and clean the ball (because I was on a fairway) when I suddenly thought, does it have to be the correct fairway or not?

So I didn't pick it up and played it as it was, as it happened the shot was perfect anyway.

G

guest100718

Today I mishit a tee shot and end up on the wrong fairway but with good line through the trees to the correct fairway. I was just about to pick and clean the ball (because I was on a fairway) when I suddenly thought, does it have to be the correct fairway or not?

So I didn't pick it up and played it as it was, as it happened the shot was perfect anyway.

It doesnt matter which fairway.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all. The close mown thing may be not so widely known, as I've had a partner ask me to judge if the ball is on the defined fairway (i.e. shortest cut part) before picking up the ball.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks to all. The close mown thing may be not so widely known, as I've had a partner ask me to judge if the ball is on the defined fairway (i.e. shortest cut part) before picking up the ball.

Closely mown means fairway or fairway length e.g. the fringe of the green. Your partner was right to ask you to confirm because if he wasn't on the fairway, he doesn't get a pick and place, regardless of how short the rough was.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No such thing as the correct fairway in the RoG, not even sure there is a fairway in there think there is "through the green" and then the other defined stuff such as your own teeing area, greens and hazards.

Think the only time fairway is mentioned is in the definition of "closely mown area" for embedded balls and the suggested local winter rule.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you talking about the local rule allowing preferred lies as opposed to the one that allows you to lift, clean and replace? I'm asking because the latter gives the Committee the authority to specify, if required, a particular part of the course.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you talking about the local rule allowing preferred lies as opposed to the one that allows you to lift, clean and replace? I'm asking because the latter gives the Committee the authority to specify, if required, a particular part of the course.
I think I may be. I thought "Preferred Lies" was just another name for "Winter Rules"....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I may be. I thought "Preferred Lies" was just another name for "Winter Rules"....

It is.
[h=3]3. Course Conditions[/h][h=4]a. Embedded Ball[/h][h=4]b. "Preferred Lies" and "Winter Rules"[/h][h=4]c. Cleaning Ball[/h][h=4]d. Aeration Holes[/h][h=4]e. Seams of Cut Turf[/h][h=4]f. Stones in Bunkers[/h]

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

We had this a couple of weeks ago where LCP permitted but only on the fairway in play

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Closely mown means fairway or fairway length e.g. the fringe of the green. Your partner was right to ask you to confirm because if he wasn't on the fairway, he doesn't get a pick and place, regardless of how short the rough was.

Just for completeness, it includes areas cut to less than fairway height as well. The definition is provided in a note within Appendix 1

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Duncan, but out of interest, what would be cut to less than fairway height apart from the green?

Paths between green and tee. The so called 'green keeper' path from tee to fairway (often through heather etc). Fringe/apron adjacent to green

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Paths between green and tee. The so called 'green keeper' path from tee to fairway (often through heather etc). Fringe/apron adjacent to green

Obviously the Fringe\Apron I should have mentioned but couldn't think of anything else. The greenkeeper path I hadn't thought of.