Winter Mats

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair, and I know the grass growth Oop North is slow to non-existent, average temperatures around here are mid single figures between December and March so, although there will be growth, it will be very minimal. I know of no courses down here that use mats as a matter of course during the winter. Some are at the moment, mainly due to the hot summer scorching the fairways to then point that there is little grass over the winter but that's an exception.

dronfield

Visit site
its a necessary evil up here in winter, little or no growth for 3 or 4 months. I don't mind them you can be very aggressive and go for flags as the ball stops dead off a mat, even with a rock of ball. I don't like hitting my hybrid or woods off them TBH, mat always goes further than the ball:( but have a mate who reg hits driver off the deck with one

At my previous club they were compulsory, but where i play now they are optional - i see playing partners not using them all round, and then suddenly on long par 4/5s the mat appears, 3 wood in hand and ball sitting up like a coconut!

Rich

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We don't have fairway irrigation at ours, and due to the long hot, mostly rainless summer we had last year, many of our fairways were toasted and some parts are struggling to recover. As a result we've been asked to tee up or use mats when playing on the fairway or on bare lies anywhere through the green for the duration of the winter. I don't have a problem with it, took a couple of rounds to get used to, but quite nice having a "good" lie every time now. The pro bought a load of mats and is punting them out at £2.50 each, which is fine by me if it helps protect the course. Surprising to see a number of members playing without either option at times though.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Not used the fairway mats before. Grass grows pretty much all year round here, but lots of rain! My old course went on Tee mats in the winter. As a leftie, I did find it quite difficult to get a tee in, where all the right handed players stood.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not used the fairway mats before. Grass grows pretty much all year round here, but lots of rain! My old course went on Tee mats in the winter. As a leftie, I did find it quite difficult to get a tee in, where all the right handed players stood.
Try the winter tee sets

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not a big fan of winter rules mats. At my home club we have two courses, one of the courses have mats on from November to February, and I've literally seen guys place mats down in the middle of the trees etc. :unsure:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’ve only had to use mats at Turnberry and The Old Course and I actually used them quite a bit :eek:

I have no issue with playing off mats in winter. The logic behind them is sound. Protect the course for the regular playing season! Growth in winter is almost non existent so why not give the course the benefit of a break?

I think that those on here that hate mats would be the first to moan about the state of fairways should they be carved up over winter without time for recovery.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Teebox mats are bad enough. As said above you can never get your tee to sit in right, the thing always seems to be bowed, and it just feels a bit wrong.

Fairway mats, I've luckily never had to experience and hope I never do. If you're hitting every shot off a mat you might as well be at Top Golf. Seems pointless.
Lucky for you, not too many £25 green fee charging clubs would consider using mats :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, get your name down for the Addington in July. An excellent price for a very good course. Hopefully will give you a look at what some of us are on about when we bang on about Top 100 courses (and those that could be)

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
At ours it's optional but it's either play off a mat on the fairway or move your ball to the semi rough and play from there.

Fortunately I'm not used to hitting the fairway so it's no different for me :LOL:

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
But we're not pros and as Patrick said above the grass up here doesn't grow in the winter so it's all about course protection. I use the divotEND Rocket Launcher fairway mat.
I prefer it to the traditional mats as it has give and guy can down in it. It's compulsory on fairways in the winter at our club.

Sorry I was being sarcastic to MendieGK that said it wasn't real golf. Nearly all my golf lessons have been off mats, I know several pro's in my area that also practice off mats. Sure in an ideal world we could practice off grass and play off fairways all year round. but to say its not real golf is just stupid imo.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry I was being sarcastic to MendieGK that said it wasn't real golf. Nearly all my golf lessons have been off mats, I know several pro's in my area that also practice off mats. Sure in an ideal world we could practice off grass and play off fairways all year round. but to say its not real golf is just stupid imo.
big difference between practicing off a mat and using one out on the course. it rewards poor ball strikers.

Part of the allure of a links courses is all year round golf. if somewhere like Burnham brought in such a rule it would lose a lot of members.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
big difference between practicing off a mat and using one out on the course. it rewards poor ball strikers.

Part of the allure of a links courses is all year round golf. if somewhere like Burnham brought in such a rule it would lose a lot of members.

Which is fine if you live local to a links course. I'm not a fan of mats either but for courses that struggle with drainage they are a necessary evil.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lucky for you, not too many £25 green fee charging clubs would consider using mats :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, get your name down for the Addington in July. An excellent price for a very good course. Hopefully will give you a look at what some of us are on about when we bang on about Top 100 courses (and those that could be)
I wouldn't mind actually, but I can't drive which makes it a bit difficult.

D

Deleted member 3432

We are onto mats (optional) this year for the 1st time.
Yes we are links but the summer is so short up here it's designed to help with course condition in the spring. This year there was no grass growth before August, cold freezing spring straight into heatwave and burnt out fairways.
Members have bought into it and the mats the club have provided are good, just like hitting off a tight lie on one side.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wouldn't mind actually, but I can't drive which makes it a bit difficult.

Can you not get a lift?

I tend to travel down from Derby with my old man. In exchange for his driving me to the golf course each day I put him up in a hotel and take him out for a few meals and drinks.

Means I can have a few pints after the round 🍻