Windows 11 upgrade

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will be following the responses to this with interest. My laptop is telling me that I can upgrade to Windows 11 but after seeing a post on Twitter that said "If you like an easy life where everything works properly, do NOT upgrade to Windows 11" I've held off hitting the button.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got a notification on the desktop that it's suitable for the upgrade, is it worth doing or hang fire ?

If you are an Intel user then it will be fine. If you are an AMD user with any of the 3xxx series processors or newer (5xxx mainly) then I'd hang fire as there are numerous reports of bugs causing BSODs and general bad behaviour. Rumour mills have Microsoft fixing these by mid-late December. (Please not that it does not affect 100% of AMD APU/CPUs but it does pose a risk).

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are an Intel user then it will be fine. If you are an AMD user with any of the 3xxx series processors or newer (5xxx mainly) then I'd hang fire as there are numerous reports of bugs causing BSODs and general bad behaviour. Rumour mills have Microsoft fixing these by mid-late December. (Please not that it does not affect 100% of AMD APU/CPUs but it does pose a risk).

I have a Yoga with i5 with 8GB Ram... but apparently not good enuf for W11.. apparently they r working to be backward compatible with my i5!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Yoga with i5 with 8GB Ram... but apparently not good enuf for W11.. apparently they r working to be backward compatible with my i5!!

Is the laptop particularly old? Is it possibly an issue with TPM 2.0 rather than the processor itself? The issue with AMD Ryzen CPU/APUs is down to the way that AMD utilise L3 cache on the chip. Windows 11 was causing serious latency issues that would lead some use cases to BSOD or freeze. Performance hits were being reported up to 20%.

Intel don't use L3 cache in the same way and so weren't really affected.

The other issue that affects many users with W11 is the Trusted Platform Module version 2 (TPM 2.0) which is a security issue. Older laptops and desktops did not have TPM 2.0 capability and so present some issue.

Having just checked Gitlab it seems that there is an issue with compatibility of 7th generation i5 processors. No one really seems to know why specifically those. But according to many posts it CAN be installed but won't include any support or updates.

Microsoft don't have a particularly great track record when it comes to OS releases. The XP to Vista release was one of the worst in memory (excluding the Windows Millennium Edition memory leak debacle) and the short lived Windows 8/8.1 was a complete omnishambles. This is why they are losing more and more ground to Linux/Ubuntu year on year.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m using an Apple Mac and run Windows 10. MS my rig isn’t up to Windows 11.
I don’t care, I don’t need endless patches and upgrades to make it secure or stable, which is what mine is?