Wilson D9 Forged

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The reviews tend to say they're pretty solid and, if they fit you, there's no reason to think they won't be any worse than the big names...
Wilson are still, in my view, struggling to despatch the "BigBox" image of the 90's
They're seen as cheap and unappealing to many.
If a Tiger, Rory or Rahm were playing them they'd sell them by the shed load....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
They're a brilliant looking set and great performance from them to. I had a demo iron for a while and liked it. I couldn't fault them.

I think it was James Robinson who said he could easily put them in his bag.

As for cheap - £800-£900 to me isn't cheap. Better value than bigger brands is how I view Wilson Staff equipment.

I tried a lot of utility irons out about 18/24 months ago and for me the best performance, feel, workability and value was the Wilson Staff. It's still in my bag and will be for the foreseeable.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I tried a lot of utility irons out about 18/24 months ago and for me the best performance, feel, workability and value was the Wilson Staff. It's still in my bag and will be for the foreseeable.

I got one in the prime sale for £117 quid and I loved it. I then lost the ability to hit my long irons and it got moved on.

A lesson later and I've regretted selling it ever since.

Jason.H

Visit site
Not hit them but they get very positive reviews. And better Value than the big names. Harrington is still a Wilson Staff player and he wins more than most.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive got the standard D9's - great value and solid bit of kit.

Had no issues at all with the D9's but Wilson have excellent customer service should you ever have an issue.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Cheers. I've got Srixon Z355s and I quite fancy the ZX5s but can't find anywhere to test. Bought mine for £150 but £800 probably deserves a hit first!

Cheers ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I I’ve hit most of the forged Wilson’s since the FG62’s were current, great bats! I’ve also had FG tour forged wedges in my bag for a long while (since 2014) and they are every bit as good as the mizzy mpt10’s they replaced.

I wanted the d9 forged this year but went with ZX5’s, the resale on Wilson stuff is also holding up well

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I I’ve hit most of the forged Wilson’s since the FG62’s were current, great bats! I’ve also had FG tour forged wedges in my bag for a long while (since 2014) and they are every bit as good as the mizzy mpt10’s they replaced.

I wanted the d9 forged this year but went with ZX5’s, the resale on Wilson stuff is also holding up well

What handicap do you have and how are you finding the ZX5s? I'm presuming you were fit for them?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What handicap do you have and how are you finding the ZX5s? I'm presuming you were fit for them?

Currently 10.8, wouldn’t class myself as a good ball striker as such. My previous fittings have all been xp95 stiff so I kinda knew my specs so didn’t need a fitting.

I had an understanding of what shafts i wanted and found cross ref charts for Nippon/KBS/true temper online so picked my shafts based on that.

First impressions are awesome!!!! I went for the ZX5’s as I wanted forgiveness , really fancied zx7’s but wanted some help

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I do not know where you are looking to buy them but I have seen them for £649 to £699

Yeah, quite reasonable for the D9s.

Just seen Affordable Golf has a blended ZX5/7 set for £599 (4 through PW).

I'm sure they'd be fine, but £600 is a lot to spend without hitting them first. Problem is going somewhere where they still have them. I've asked a couple of places so will see what they say.

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Currently 10.8, wouldn’t class myself as a good ball striker as such. My previous fittings have all been xp95 stiff so I kinda knew my specs so didn’t need a fitting.

I had an understanding of what shafts i wanted and found cross ref charts for Nippon/KBS/true temper online so picked my shafts based on that.

First impressions are awesome!!!! I went for the ZX5’s as I wanted forgiveness , really fancied zx7’s but wanted some help

Does the shaft not differ from head to head? They do look lovely and reviews are positive, plus my current set are Srixon...