Wild swimming

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went past a few isolated loch yesterday and all of them had people swimming in, even Dores beach must have had 20 people swimming in Loch Ness. Nairn always seems to have people out swimming even in winter. Wasn't like it was a hot day. Not that long ago you never saw anyone swimming in in open water, big increase in it of late

Anyone on here do it, and what attracts you to it?

Not my cup of tea, been in the moray firth I couple of times, but that was only because it was a scorching hot day

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Quite happy to be in the sea but not freshwater, and happily out of my depth for upwards of an hour. Not sure I’d call it wild swimming, more like snorkelling. Usually from mid morning till late afternoon. Take a few bits of bread in, surrounded by fish in no time.

Why?

Fish, octopus and jelly fish… fascinating.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to do it regularly as a child and teenager. Stories can be a bit scary one of my Mum's friends son as a child died after swimming too close to a weir on the Thames. There was lots of us who knew him from school etc.

I rarely even swim now.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could they have been triathlon training?
When my brother use to do triathlons, he and many others used to pay (quite a bit) to swim in certain local lakes to do open water swim training.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Dad always used to swim in the sea. He was very good at floating so used to spend a fair bit of time just floating around like a human airbed but he could also go at a fair clip when he was done with floating.

I never took after him at all, I'm rubbish at swimming.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Could they have been triathlon training?
When my brother use to do triathlons, he and many others used to pay (quite a bit) to swim in certain local lakes to do open water swim training.
Don't think so mostly older women in the lochs, some the ones in loch ness could have been, a couple of guys got out who had all the gear, wetsuits etc. The women all just has swimsuits.

Swimming in the sea I sort of get but some muddy cold dark loch the back of beyond you couldn't get me in if you paid me