Width of stance

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a bit of a rough day, shots were a little short and strike not so clean. So I ended up going to the driving range to have a check.
I think my stance got a bit too wide, leaving my weight on the back foot. I narrowed down and the strike and flight improved massively.
Then I wanted to know what it should be and how I can train myself to get to the correct width.
I have watched a few videos. Some are talking about shoulder width apart, but I am quite broad ~45-50cms (22” I think. This would leave me with a very wide stance.
So I looked further and the video below looks to be a good sensible explanation.

Has anyone on had these issues and do you have a quick method of dropping into position...

This is just iron shots by the way!

Daveg99

Visit site
I’ve had issues with this too and tried changing the width on a daily basis to get it right again. However if I’m playing well and hitting things pure it really doesn’t matter how I set up, it’s 90% mental I’d say from personal experience

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The video you provided explains exactly what I was going to suggest. I followed a magazine article which said widen your stance for the driver and I just ended up locking my hips up and too narrow I’d stumble forward so it’s quite easy to work it out based on your own body.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve had issues with this too and tried changing the width on a daily basis to get it right again. However if I’m playing well and hitting things pure it really doesn’t matter how I set up, it’s 90% mental I’d say from personal experience
I think the mental part comes later .. hence a mechanical solution to reduce the mental stuff.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tough one to answer .
When on the range play with feet together and gradually while hitting balls widen the stance after each shot until it feels good.
Put two marks on a stick.
Play again with a wide stance reducing it until it feels good.
Check this with the stick.
Hit full shots and monitor your balance.
This is your ball park width and a little practice will fine tune it.

I have quite a narrow stance for my height but am comfortable with it ,
As you say my shoulder width is very uncomfortably wide.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hogan recommends inside of heels to be 'outside of shoulders' width apart for a 5i.

I learned this stance but as decades went past I drifted to a much narrower stance - so I've recently tried pushing right foot back out again - it feels a bit strange but does seem to stabilise me - helping me prevent a backswing sway - contributing to the horrors that I suffer from.

He also suggests for 5i a ball position quite far forward of centre with ball position relative to left heel (right handed player) remaining constant as right foot moves away as clubs become longer...and right foot comes closer to left for shorter irons.

Old advice of course