Why do veteran golfers swing high?

png57

Visit site
New golfer here. Just had my very first golf lesson a few weeks ago to learn the fundamentals. I have been practicing on my own ever since at a frequency of two times a week with each session an hour long.

When I was first taught golf, I was told to recoil to right about waist level before taking the swing (let's call this method A, see below link for picture)

However when I started practicing on my own, I noticed that literally every other golfer recoil way far back and high (let's call this method B, see below link for picture). So it's obvious this seems to be the most popular way to take a swing.

Whenever I try to recoil a lot higher just like method B, I end up swinging and missing the ball literally every time. I get that I will get better at method B with practice but right now method A (recoiling to just waist level) just feels a lot easier. So what are the benefits to swinging so far back like in method B?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You will hit the ball further.

Depending on your age, general fitness and flexibility it might not be practical for you to attain the "method B" position...but you certainly need to have a more extended backswing than method A if you want to hit the ball any distance.

Dont try to attain "B" all in one go....try for a half way house swing and get used to that and slowly work up to a "full swing"...or as close as you can manage.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn’t method A is just a 9h position of method B? While you might not be able to get to 12h, anywhere around 10-10.30 would be good?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since you said you're a beginner and it was your first lesson or thereabouts, is it not possible he was simply teaching you a half swing first to get used to striking the ball, and you'll make a longer swing on future lessons?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since you said you're a beginner and it was your first lesson or thereabouts, is it not possible he was simply teaching you a half swing first to get used to striking the ball, and you'll make a longer swing on future lessons?
Quite, indeed just learning to hit the ball 50yds clean and sweet is good to start with (and actually to be going on with) …and once you can repeat it with consistent outcome just add a bit more force to hit it further.

Last edited: