Why aren't exact handicaps used?

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Reading the Countback thread and find myself questioning why exact handicaps aren't used to determine the placings in the event of a tie?

Why do we use the countback system - why not use exact handicaps rather than rounded 'playing' ones?

I know there's no perfect solution but countback seems a bit arbitrary (and of course play-offs only make sense or are feasible for the odd comp such as maybe the club champs)

Am I missing something obvious?
Anybody any idea?

this type of question is moot until the handicap system as a whole is addressed - the current system is broken for anyone not playing very regular medal golf

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
But that might go against your wishes as going to exact would mean that the higher exact handicapper would win.
82 gross - 9.5 = 72.5 net
82 gross - 10.4 = 71.6 net
10.4 handicapper wins.

(Or maybe I misread your post and you would prefer the higher exact handicap to win?)

I did mean I would prefere the higher exact handicapper to win in that scenario. In exact terms they are essentially a shot worse than the lower handicapper, but in real terms play off the same handicap. So if handicaps are to works as they are suppose to, so golfer of all ability can play against each other then it would make sense for the 10.4 to win in such a scenario