Whose brilliant bloody idea was that??????

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Found myself with an unexpected Monday off so decided to play in my first "official" competition since rejoining Crowborough last month. "Midweek" Stableford, which sounded a bit funny being on a Monday, but never mind. Weather forecast was really good, and it turned out to be a gorgeous day down here, nudging 18 degrees according to the temp gauge in the car.
Anyway, I was well up for it, stood on the first tee and smacked a nice drive straight down the middle. Easy 8 iron in, set myself up for birdie. Bit cheesed off when I got on the green to find that it hadn't been swished, but hey ho. My birdie attempt just came up a tad short, but it was a tap in 4 for 3 points. Nice start.
Messed the 2nd up a bit, tough par 4, walked off with double bogie after 3 putting on the wet green from my chip after missing with my long approach. Parred the short par 3 3rd, and then birdied the par 4 4th. No stroke there so only 3 points. Then parred the tough par 4 5th for a good 3 points. So 12 points off the 1st 5 holes, striking the ball really well, and thinking "this could be my day".
Then greenkeepers came out from every direction and started hollow tining the greens!! I couldn't believe it. I know it's work that has to be done, but in the middle of a competition?????
Every green from there on in was tined, putting was a lottery and although I managed to hold it together reasonably well on the front 9 to finish on 19 points, I collapsed like a pack of cards on the back to only card 11 more. I think I had 5x3 putts and a 4 putt in there somewhere along with a blob on a par 3 where I found the worst lie in a bunker that I have ever found.
Surely they could have waited until tomorrow when the course is clear to start maintenance????

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
lol, i played a course last year and the greenkeepers were changing from proper greens to temps in between the players in our fourball!!!! brilliant laugh

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would assume your comp will be cancelled. They can't have a properly run comp with greens changing during the comp, that's simply not allowed.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems a bit odd, was the maintenance works not in the club diary??

As you say one days delay would have seemed sensible, still at least you have an outside agency to blame!!

D

Deleted member 1418

Sounds like a poor place to play if you ask me. Am rethinking my invite down now............:whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't you just love Greenkeepers!

Was on the committee at an earlier club and kept plugging away at meetings and to the Course Managers to be aware that Medals were held on 1st weekend of a month, so please start such maintenance on 2nd Monday. Got through to one of them fairly quick but the other refused to budge.

ash01

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds as though the conditions were right with the weather and they have gone for it with the hollow tines. They may have annoyed you and cancelled your comp, but the break in the weather and it being warmer means they can get it done quicker and the greens will recover quicker.

Remember, its all for your benefit!

Ash!!