Whos the best player?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being new to the game ive only ever played 5 courses and the best player ive played with was a six handicapper,whos the best player youve played with,what was the experience like,and how did it come about?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Head pro at my old club for me. He played off plus 5 and his brother is on the Euro Pro tour. Was a great bloke, we just played 9 holes together on a Friday evening last summer, still took a fiver off him playing pond a hole!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
+1 is the best handicap of a player I've played 18 holes with. Quite simply he was a member at my club looking for a quick round one summer afternoon, I was on the range practicing when he was warming up and asked if I fancied a knock on the course. I had some time free and was hitting it well so I agreed. His game was different class though, it was a calm day- perfect conditions for golf and he tore the course apart. 4 birdies, 1 eagle and 2 bogies was good enough for a score of 4 under. It was definitely an experience seeing the holes I struggle with being made to look so easy. The bit of his game that struck me, surprisingly, was his long irons rather than the short game you'd expect. Yes he got it up and down from all over the place when he did occasionally miss a green, but it was the towering 200 yard, drawn 5 iron to 4 feet that sticks in my memory from the round. On numerous occasions he would use a 3 iron to put himself in the middle of the fairway on par 4s, I think he was using the pretty unforgiving Titliest blades from last year and he was making them look like Big Berthas the contact he was making with them. Each one long and shaped to order- if I remember correctly the driver was only required on the par 5s and one par 4! He was a nice guy as well, a pleasure to play with. He gave me some good advice with my putting as well which certainly helped :)

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I haven't played with many people since I was a junior, but I remember playing a junior knockout against a lad who was a couple of years older than me (i was about 13) and he played off about 5. Well 5 isn't that low but at the time he seemed like a pro compared to me, I beat him because I was a bandit off 27 but I bet I couldn't beat him now, last thing I heard he was the head pro at De Vere Dunston Hall.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Including Bob, i've played with 3 Pro's,

One was scary long off the tee but a shite temperament, left the club under a cloud. With my putter.

The current assistant pro is a cracking lad, asked me if I fancy doing a few pro ams with him this year.

Bob was ok :D

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in the works golf outing a few years ago, and one of the guys i played with was of +2, he was round in 66 ,2 birdies and and eagle the rest pars.He never missed a fairway or a green all day , was a good guy to play with as well not coming over as a chocolate boy.

I play with a 2 and 3 handicapper every week and they don't make many silly mistakes or throw shots away , the best on here i've played with was IM01 at Goswick in a gail, different class.

jacetheace

Club Champion
Visit site
My partner in the myhill a norfolk competition was a +1, and used to regulary play with a couple of lads at costessey park who are now pros.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club pro is pretty talented (got to final qualifying for the open twice and only missed by a couple of shots). He is invariably under par and makes a tidy bit of money in regional pro-ams. I think the best though is a guy called Malcolm Reid from my club who is off +1 and a county and international player. He hasn't got a textbook swing but is sneaky long and very, very accurate with hit irons. He makes it look effortless

Visit site
Can i just ask everyone what it was that made them get around in a low score. I find i can usually hit it as far as low handicappers but its from 100 yds in where they are better than me. Does anyone else agree?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played a Pro-am with the club Pro years back and held my own against him.
But I guess the best player has to be David Howell seeing as he's a Tour Pro. To be fair he didn't play well and Me and MikeH held the team together but it was a good experience all the same..

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My self!! When i concentrata and pre shot routine feels the normal i play soo good but only happens for 13 or 14 holes then a good card becomes a nearly card

matt01

Head Pro
Visit site
as part of my lessons this winter i have been have a round with the pro who take me (weather alowing us to get out)apart from that i play with a plus 2 handicap

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a few times with a Scratch player at our place, and its effortless to watch.
As far as being 'as long as them' goes, I cant claim that one. Whilst I arent 'short' in anyones book, hitting our 529yd par 5 with a Driver & 8iron was un-bloody-beleivable, altho he did miss the 8' Eagle Putt.

Oh, and the 2 iron that flew like a bullet in a controlled draw was pretty impressive too.

Might be a little 'intimidating' at first playing with guys like this, but its inspirational, educational, and an absolute pleasure to watch.
As long as they're nice mannered too of course......

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good friend of mine played of +2.1 before he stopped playing. Such a solid player.

Am good friends with a pro who was on the european tour for 8 years and play a bit with him.

Its great to see how they put rounds together and how they limit any mistakes.

The bits I've never been able to grasp but I keep watching hoping it'll sink in.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
About 20 years ago I was lucky enough to play a few times with a Walker Cup player who was a member of our club.

I won't name him but a small virtual prize will be given to whoever gets his name from the following.

Holed the putt that won the cup for GB & I in 1989

Lost out to a certain P Mickelson at the last in the singles in 1991 at Portmarnock.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I also have been fortunate enough to play with a past walker cup player/captain. apart from that i have played with a couple of pros a few county players all fairly impressive.