Who needs 14 clubs?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you can shoot 65 with only 2 clubs and a putter?

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/...ts-65-with-just-two-clubs-and-a-putter-122783

A brilliant story this and I'm proud to say that it was our very own vice captain Mike Hunt.

Thanks to GM for running this story because poor old Mike was crucified online on FB when the story first broke.

It did happen , he's not a bandit , liar or cheat!

MIke has 11 clubs for sale if anybody is interested? 😀

(Homer, you will recognise the man pictured with Mike!)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well done him

Did think it a bit naff to claim it as a par 72 then go on to say winter length chopped it back to 5,700 yards but that doesn't detract from the achievement so much as how its presented

As many threads have shown these 5/3 club challenge comps always seem to turn up good scores and I reckon they'd be even better if we played with just 5 clubs for a month or two leading up to this kind of comp

With only 3 though I cant see me picking my driver (although I'd need it off the tee I couldn't cope with all the fairway shots being hit with a low iron) so extra credit to him on that one

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to be able to hit an old style driver off the deck, like the original big Bertha. The heads were much smaller - similar to a modern 3W.

Some of the people on FB refused to believe that a 5 handicapper could find a par 5 in 2 by hitting driver off the deck. And the comments were quite something. They really ought to be censored for bad language🙁

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
14 is just the limit. You don't have to carry 14.

Just like on a motorway, the limit is 70 but it's much safer to drive 65-67. You don't have to drive on the limit all the time.

D

Deleted Member 1156

14 is just the limit. You don't have to carry 14.

Just like on a motorway, the limit is 70 but it's much safer to drive 65-67. You don't have to drive on the limit all the time.

Be a devil....go for 66-68 :thup:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I first started playing golf I used a half set and got my hc down to 15,I then got a full set and my hc hovered around 15 for 4 more years :confused:

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had our 3 clubs and a putter comp last weekend. I scored 34 points. 37 won it. It's certainly made me reevaluate if I need 14 clubs. What I liked was that there was no dilemma about what club to use for my shots. Also, I could get used to how light my bag was!

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
looks like it's going to be time for the carry bag over the next few weeks. I can't carry a full set, so have been trying to work out what to leave out. From this, sounds like the answer is "most of them"!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it always surprises me how well you can score with just 3 clubs (including the putter) i tend to go 23 hybrid (only time its been used) 50 deg wedge. main this is you have to stay out of the bunkers as its a links course, most of the time you are not getting out without a fair amount of loft. we are a par 69 off the winter tee's and this year an 18 handicapper won with a gross 75 and the weather was a shocker worst day weather wise for the whole Christmas break

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I could do with 15. In fact, a couple of years ago I took 15 out on course in comp. As Comps & Handicap Convenor, I had to DQ myself. Still not been able to live it down!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only ever played with format or a wet and soggy lee park in the winter.

It would be much better during a bone dry spell in the summer giving more options to run the ball and actually be creative in shot making.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only ever played with format or a wet and soggy lee park in the winter.

It would be much better during a bone dry spell in the summer giving more options to run the ball and actually be creative in shot making.

Surely all you need is one chipper and one putter.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
maybe we should all do as Seve did and start with just a 3 iron. Didn't he teach himself to play just about every shot with just this one club?

We know that some pros have successfully putted with their 3 iron after breaking their putters in a fit of rage - so that's the putter done away with........

No bag, no trolley, no club selection - should speed up play no end as a positive side effect!