Which is more fun? Fitting or eBay?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let me begin by admitting that I am a bit of a club whore. I do love a new shiny and with it the incessant and obsessive Googling that comes before a purchase.

The clubs in my bag have come via two different paths if you like; Fitting & eBay.

The G20 irons were fit for, in the bag for +18 months now and are going great. No problems. I see this as a win for custom fitting. Happy face.

The Adams 5W (MONSTER) and Callaway Hybrid on the other hand are from eBay, stemming from a sad amount of Googling and YouTubing. Both these clubs are fantastic and give me great confidence for all manner of shots. I wasn’t fit for either, both are standard specs (think the 5W has the Super S stock shaft) without any adjustments. In terms of net benefit, I’d say they’re on a par with the G20s. I should also state that I hit neither before buying.

So, examples of win wins for fitting and eBay (or any other source of second hand clubs). Now, on the other hand, I’ve also had poor experiences as a result of custom fitting and impulse drunken purchasing.

At the start of the year I was custom fit for an X Hot Driver in a PX6.0 shaft. In the fitting, and the first couple of rounds it seemed to be going well, but the shaft always felt too much for me, and when the swing wasn’t up to it (frequently) I felt as though I was swinging a scaffolding pole. Now you filthy long four hundred yard forumers may scoff at my futility, but the shaft was plainly not right and hindered more than helped. A big poo poo for fitting. 1-1.

As for regrettable purchases (without trying the club), well, there are possibly too many to mention. eBay + Red Stripe = angry wife and angry bank manager. One recent example could be the G20 fairway. As a Ping fanboy I thought this would be a winner, but the thing just went left, left, left on me. Horrid. 1-1 for self-prescribed club fitting.

So, to finish rambling, what works best? Shelling out for custom fitting where you will (hopefully) get a club tailored exactly to your specs, giving you confidence it’s FOR YOU, but with the drawback of largely only trying the most recent models, at a cost. Or, is a bit of research, googling, pure speculation/alcohol induced shopping the way to go in buying second hand, knowing your game better than anyone else and what might work for you? Could it be an expensive mistake or great excitement when it comes off and you find a winner?

What say you?

(p.s. this concludes my diatribe, I’m watching a SLDR on ebay, time is running out!!)

(p.p.s I would like to state for the record that all erroneous purchases are always the club’s fault and not that of my shambolic swing).

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
cheap older clubs, Evilbay

Newer modern clubs- fitting.

I'm watching 3 different drivers right now, probably buy 2 of them if the price is right. You only make a small loss when relisting, similar to renting the club for a month.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't use ebay. I want to hit the club before I buy it. I love the process of hitting clubs and trying new models out, especially if I get to do it with a monitor. I'm not always in the market for new sticks but I'm a gear whore too and can't resist trying the new stuff

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ebay for me too :D - Got a bag full of second hand bargains.

Definitely, had more success with ebay than getting fitted.

The big advantage for ebay is that you can try the club/shaft etc for several week/month before deciding if it is right for you, if not back on ebay and all you are out of pocket is postage. Just need to buy carefully and use common sense.

With Custom fitting, you are fitted for your swing at that moment in time. There are lots of reasons that it may not be correct a few months later. Ie your getting lessons and improving all the time and shafts no longer correct. You go to the gym or put on weight and swing speed changes etc. You were fitted for something forgiving and you now want a players iron.

Currently fiddling with shafts for my irons at the mo after one got bent.