Which drill bit for a lintel?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't let the drill get too hot so low speed and keep pulling the drill back every few seconds to clear away any swarf. As previously advised use a coolant like water or

This is all very well if you're drilling into heavy guage steel. An ordinary metal lintel above a window recess will just need a new hss drill bit with a corded drill.
No need for any lubricant, just high speed drilling. I can assure you will get the job done.
Alternatively, if the OP still has problems fix the blind higher above recess which would mean missing the lintel altogether.
The other problem with fixing to a lintel is that the 2nd bracket has to be precisely level and the exact width. You only have one chance to get it right! ?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drill bits can be sharpened !!
Yes they can, but drilling into metal lintels they don't stay sharp for very long. Also, if after going through the lintel and you catch a brick above, it will blunt the bit straight away.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes they can, but drilling into metal lintels they don't stay sharp for very long. Also, if after going through the lintel and you catch a brick above, it will blunt the bit straight away.
They will overheat and break if you try and push them through at high speed with no lubricant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Donna had me putting up a blind this morning above a window. Can only fix the brackets above due to the position.

Sounding like the office boy I am, it must be a steel lintel as my masonry drill won‘t touch it.. I’ve got a bit box of my dads old drills I don’t actually know what a steel drill bit looks like.

Ive Googled it, and you’d have thought there’d be a visual comparison.

Any clues for duffers like me? I’ll have resort to embarrassing myself by asking next door!
Similar issue recently with putting up a curtain pole except old house and real struggle getting rawlplugs gripping into old bricks and plaster. I dread fixing anything to our walls ?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Similar issue recently with putting up a curtain pole except old house and real struggle getting rawlplugs gripping into old bricks and plaster. I dread fixing anything to our walls ?
Here's what I would do:
No. 8 sds drill bit, you can buy longer ones. Start drilling, without hammer action on, when you get to brick, hammer on and drill to about 3-4inches deep. Here's the important bit, tap plug all the way in, use a 2 1/2 "- 3" no. 8 screw and you should get a good tight fixing.
Doing it this way you avoid brittle crumbling plaster.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's what I would do:
No. 8 sds drill bit, you can buy longer ones. Start drilling, without hammer action on, when you get to brick, hammer on and drill to about 3-4inches deep. Here's the important bit, tap plug all the way in, use a 2 1/2 "- 3" no. 8 screw and you should get a good tight fixing.
Doing it this way you avoid brittle crumbling plaster.
Apart from me having the hammer action on from word go this what I found myself doing…worked for most but a couple maybe hit the mortar. I can see how having the hammer action through the plaster caused the problem since as soon as the bit hit the brick, the resistance meant that I could not hold the drill steady and a wide hole resulted. Anyway good to know that by luck I did the right thing and havent missed the obvious ?