Where to drop.

fylde6

Hacker
Visit site
A bit of help please.
We have an island green, if the ball lands on green and goes back into the water, can you drop green side or do you have to ba ck across the water?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I were a lad, you couldn't drop a ball nearer the hole to where the original ball lies so it's back over the water I'm afraid.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends whether it is a yellow or red penalty area. That will likely be shown by stakes or a line.

If yellow, you cannot take take relief on the green side. If red, you are allowed take relief on the green side but there's no guarantee there will be anywhere within two club lengths of where the ball crossed the edge of the PA that isn't nearer the hole than that. If there isn't, you're left with same options as you have with a yellow PA: back on a line from the hole through where the ball last crossed the edge on the tee side of the pond or stroke and distance.

If the pond isn't marked as either yellow or red, you treat it as red.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Colin is right - of course. But rather than waste the answer I had almost completed.....

There is no simple or universal yes/no answer here. It depends on the layout of the situation.

The key first step is to determine the reference point - the point where the ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area. Based on your description of the situation, this would be the point where it crossed the red line (assuming a red penalty area) as it rolled from the putting green back into the water.

After that - assuming you are seeking to take the two club length lateral relief option - you need to identify if there is a relief area within two club lengths of that reference point - and this is the important bit - that is NOT NEARER THE HOLE THAN THE REFERENCE POINT. (The relief area can be in any area of the course - including on the putting green or in a bunker - but not in the same penalty area.)

If you can find such a relief area on the green side of the penalty area then, by all means, you are free to drop the ball there.

Otherwise you will need to take back on the line relief or stroke and distance and head back to the far side of the penalty area.

salfordlad

Visit site
Good answers from Colin and Steven above - I have one minor addition. You also need to be alert to whether a Dropping Zone has been put in place, if so, you have an extra relief option.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Good answers from Colin and Steven above - I have one minor addition. You also need to be alert to whether a Dropping Zone has been put in place, if so, you have an extra relief option.

(y) This is just what we have for the island green par 3, red stakes & a DZ (+ the usual stroke and distance)