Where do they stay?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The sensible answer should be that the R&A pre book some rooms for those who qualify. Whether that happens I have no idea...

In the James Patterson book he stayed in his motorhome in the grounds of the college at St Andrews, maybe Jensen is right :)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Loads of accommodation left around the open. Maybe not the best of the best but there is places available. A lot of people were asking for a lot of money and people simply did not want to pay that much

D

Deleted member 1418

I would imagine the R&A will book whatever rooms they need for the field number, and then if players make their own arrangements then so be it.

The GM boys usually rent a house from memory........ although they didn't invite Stu_C or myself back when they were at Troon........😡😉😂😂

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s why I quite like the tournament before the masters. Winner gets the last place and the tournament always have a flight on standby and accommodation sorted for it too.

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
It is a subject that my friends and I have been wondering about for many years?
Where do they all stay?
Who does the bookings - not only the stars with management teams but the young pros just making it on to the tour?
Last minute travel arrangements?
How do they manage their laundry?
How many of the pros have clothing manufacturers leave out "outfits" for them for each day?
A new pair of shoes each day? McIlroy has had this. And you do notice "outfit matching shoes" quite often.
There must be a great opportunity for a "behind the scenes" documentary of the life of a touring golf pro. "Four Iron in the Sole" type but updated.
It would be a fascinating insight.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a subject that my friends and I have been wondering about for many years?
Where do they all stay?
Who does the bookings - not only the stars with management teams but the young pros just making it on to the tour?
Last minute travel arrangements?
How do they manage their laundry?
How many of the pros have clothing manufacturers leave out "outfits" for them for each day?
A new pair of shoes each day? McIlroy has had this. And you do notice "outfit matching shoes" quite often.
There must be a great opportunity for a "behind the scenes" documentary of the life of a touring golf pro. "Four Iron in the Sole" type but updated.
It would be a fascinating insight.
Agree on all of the above. Ref the bit in bold, do they literally get them out of the box and wear them? That would be terrifying for me. A big tournament and you start getting a blister walking up the 8th :eek:. They all look so pristine so I think the top guys must be given shoes for fun, presumably to show off all of the different ranges as well, but as someone who struggles to get a good fit I'm not sure I could get away with that.

At what point does that happen, when do you go from 2 free pairs a year to 2 free pairs per month etc. Pitch the idea, it would be great to see.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree on all of the above. Ref the bit in bold, do they literally get them out of the box and wear them? That would be terrifying for me. A big tournament and you start getting a blister walking up the 8th :eek:. They all look so pristine so I think the top guys must be given shoes for fun, presumably to show off all of the different ranges as well, but as someone who struggles to get a good fit I'm not sure I could get away with that.

At what point does that happen, when do you go from 2 free pairs a year to 2 free pairs per month etc. Pitch the idea, it would be great to see.

Presumably custome made for pros e.g. mould of their feet and done for that or am I assuming it's more elaborate than it is?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They all have those big tour bags to carry around a pile of compeed plasters to avoid any blister disasters.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably custome made for pros e.g. mould of their feet and done for that or am I assuming it's more elaborate than it is?
I get that for a top 20-30 player etc but would they go to those lengths for someone ranked 56 for example? Maybe even that is over the top and custom fit is only for the really elite? 13Aces needs to get that film made :D.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I get that for a top 20-30 player etc but would they go to those lengths for someone ranked 56 for example? Maybe even that is over the top and custom fit is only for the really elite? 13Aces needs to get that film made :D.
Maybe they have a special team member who's job it is to wear said shoes in for their Master.....:unsure:

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just a thought. A couple of the players in the Scottish Open will qualify for the Open. How do they find accommodation? Surely it will all have been booked up months in advance.
I was listening to a podcast last week (Life on Tour, I think or maybe The Cut) and they were discussing this topic with Paul Waring. He said that people regularly scramble around for accommodation when they qualify late. I think he said that he is going to be staying with his caddy's extended family.

Hitdaball

Visit site
A friend lives in Portstewart and was offered £5k for his house for a week. He didn’t take it (I’d have bitten their hands off!)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A friend of a friend was offered £5k for a house literally across the road.
Offer was declined numerous times, each time the offer went up.

The deal in the end was £25k for the week. House to be cleared of everything 3 days before, client pays for deep clean.
Client brings own furniture.
At the end clients belongings / furniture removed and another deep clean. Hoime owners stuff put back ( client paying for storage of their stuff)

As well as the £25k the house owner was offered a holiday anywhere in the world for the week as well as 1st class flights there and back.

All done through an agent

Unreal

I heard a very similar story and the client was apparently Mr Beckham. No idea if it is true or not.

Also heard that Sky wanted someone’s apartment to use their balcony for a camera and paid a pretty penny for it. Once again, no idea if it’s true or not.