Where are we?

B

birdieman

Where are we last Saturday?
That's me on the left, 10 points for the course and twenty points for the correct hole...come on!

cstag4.jpg

ps winner gets to pay for him/herself and me to play the course again!!

DCB

Visit site
Going by the shadow cast by the sun and the fact that the tide is in..... Brora, 9th hole per chance. If correct I'll forego the prize !

What a great day you had to play that course.

B

birdieman

Ahh too good DCB, you are a well travelled golfer indeed, it is the 9th.
Best days golf I've had in a long long time, most fun course I've played in years, course was in great nick too, wind kept things tricky but managed to get 4 birdies over the 36 holes on the day so happy with that.
Spot the livestock on the left, great sense of remoteness and on a day like we had unbeatable really. Already planning a trip back here and Dornoch in 2 weeks, it was that good!
Dornoch championship is pure class, Struie pretty damn good too :rolleyes:

DCB

Visit site
Stu,

"Spot the livestock on the left, "

That's what real golf is all about.

It's a good job Brora is so far north and people don't readily make the trip up there. If it was in Fife or Ayrshire it would be ruined by so much traffic.

It's a while since I was last up there but at that time it was about £25-30 for a round. What's it cost nowadays ?

Hope you get just as good a day at Dornoch, remember to let us know what how you get on.

dave

B

birdieman

Dave, played Dornoch already the day before we were here then down to the superb Boat of Garten on the Sunday. Dornoch was tremendous, some very difficult golf with a strong NE wind, eased a bit for the Saturday at Brora. Played 4BBB all three days so didn't score any round, played so-so at Dornoch, great at Brora and poorly at Boat of Garten (tired) but just coming back from a slipped disc I was delighted to last the 3 days and not have any back pain, bonus to be playing again let alone score.
Cost of Brora is £52 or so for 36 holes I think, don't know what a round costs - excellent value I think for 8.5 hours of links golf ona James Braid designed track.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oooh, lovely Birdieman.

Playing Brora, Dornoch and Tain at end June and looking forward to it even more now. I remember the sheep around the greens at Brora from playing it nearly 20 years ago but we didn't get a day like you did.

Did any of your party hit the green at the 6th at Royal Dornoch? Brilliant but evil hole when you miss.

DCB

Visit site
That's some weekend, two classic links and a very nice heathland to end on.

Boat of Garten always seems to be in good condition, or at least has been on the occassions I've played it.

Once on a visit there my wife was informed that there was a problem with her lunchtime tuna sandwich as they had just run out of tuna, the answer, "would fresh salmon do instead?"

Highland hospitality at it's best.

B

birdieman

John,
Tain is meant to be good, we couldn't fit it in though, maybe next time. Also if you do Dornoch don't rush past the Struie course, it's not in the same league as it's illustrious neighbour but those holes out by the sea at the turn in particular are well worth a visit.
Dave, Boat was fantastic, the ups and downs through the birches, I'd forgotten how tough it is, you MUST be straight here and I wasn't straight enough on the day alas. Greens had been recently cored so th eputting surface wasn't quite there but give it a week or two and it'll be fine again. The food is still good, clubhouse has one of the best views in the UK.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
"The Boat" is a beauty. A hidden gem doesn't do it justice. But tight. It doesn't inspire confidence off the tee. I had a mare the one time I played it. Trees, trees, trees.

Spot the steam engine going past in the background. Just gorgeous.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

B

birdieman

This is the 10th green on the Struie course at Dornoch, looking over the Dornoch Firth - tempted?

Struie2010th.jpg

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Any of you well travelled fellows played Murcar? I'm playing the 36 hole open up there at the end of June. Website pics gives the impression it will be a tough test!

B

birdieman

Ashamed to say I've never played Murcar, had a student membership at Royal Aberdeen next door which meets Murcar at the turn which is similar. Apparently some Japanese party was known to continue off Royal Aberdeen after missing the turn and keep going all the way along the Murcar holes and ended up miles away at the wrong clubhouse!

All depends on the wind, if it blows you're going to have to work very hard for a score. It is a classic links by all accounts.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I heard that story too about the tourists! classic :)

By the way JF, is that someone doing the funky chicken dance in the bottom middle picture?

B

birdieman

Judging by the picture you have posted Stu I can see there will always be a demand for links golf.

It looks almost artificial.

Not sure which pic you mean Andy but if it's the bottom one, hands up I nicked that off the Dornoch GC website!

I like the way they have these natural waste areas off the fairway that they just leave alone, flood occassionally on spring tides etc.

These trips are at the mercy of the weather to a degree but when it's good, it's top golf country.

sandford93

Assistant Pro
Visit site
bit far away from all of this down in berkshire but feel as though i should try and play these courses with my grandads society.