When you play early, what's open?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The thread on earliest tee time got me thinking about what club facilities are open when you tee off early (maybe we already had this thread before)

I remember one course I played there was a starter hut to collect green fees (muni) and no one else, clubhouse not open at all (seemed almost like trespassing)
At the other end a course near me has:
A couple of guys manning club services and the practice range
Pro shop fully open 1-2 staff
Bar/restaurant open (prob 2 staff)
One manager at least
Greens staff out and about but not sure how many (prob about 10)

They'll all be in place by 6am for first tee at 6;30

I guess it depends on whats viable and needed at each course but quite a contrast

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our office opens at 8 am in summer and at 10 am in winter. Pro shop has relatively limited opening hours year round (10 am to 3 pm normally, maybe an hour longer on very busy days). The bar opens at noon in winter and at 10 o'clock the rest of the year (earlier when there is a comp or a pre-booked group which wants to have breakfast) and I think officially closes at 9 pm (but more realistically when there are no more customers to expect). Everything is handled with some flexibility, when the weather is good and they expect people to come early, they will open everything up a bit earlier, when the weather is lousy, they will reduce staff and sometimes not open at all. We don't have that many guests playing, it is mostly a private members club, and the members have access to the caddie rooms and toilets even if everything else is closed down.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At my club, the steward lives on site and opens up, usually at 6.30 in winter (to let cleaner in) and 6.00 in summer including access to the bar where we have a coffee machine and the locker room. No bar staff until 9.30 and kitchen not open until 10.00 although we are in the process of getting new caterers so that may change

Pro shop. Core hours in winter is 8.00-4.00 although head pro usually there about 7.15-7.30. In summer that changes to 7.00-6.00pm

Admin staff/general manager - not down to work weekends but GM often in her office for several hours over the weekend. Office will be open 7.30-2.30 for a number of weeks when renewals due to help process those for those that usually only use the club at weekends. Core times during the week are 9.00-5.00

Green staff will be on course from around 4.30 am and even at weekends will usually be doing something somewhere to the course or cleaning equipment

So basically you can get into the premises early enough and fix yourself a coffee and to get into the locker room to get your clubs out but that's about it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At my club, the steward lives on site and opens up, usually at 6.30 in winter (to let cleaner in) and 6.00 in summer including access to the bar where we have a coffee machine and the locker room. No bar staff until 9.30 and kitchen not open until 10.00 although we are in the process of getting new caterers so that may change

Pro shop. Core hours in winter is 8.00-4.00 although head pro usually there about 7.15-7.30. In summer that changes to 7.00-6.00pm

Admin staff/general manager - not down to work weekends but GM often in her office for several hours over the weekend. Office will be open 7.30-2.30 for a number of weeks when renewals due to help process those for those that usually only use the club at weekends. Core times during the week are 9.00-5.00

Green staff will be on course from around 4.30 am and even at weekends will usually be doing something somewhere to the course or cleaning equipment

So basically you can get into the premises early enough and fix yourself a coffee and to get into the locker room to get your clubs out but that's about it

That seems pretty comprehensive for a members club though

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
on a few occasions when I have played early in the summer the only things open were the gates. Mind you I was waiting on the 1st tee a 5.15am for it to be light enough to tee off.

I got a few funny looks going into the pro shop to pay the green fee at just after 8 and explaining that I had already finished!!

I remember 1 round at Selsdon Park when I was teeing off about 6am and my scorecard was taped to the pro shop door (I had booked and paid via Teeofftimes)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All year round the kitchen and bar areas and locker rooms are all open from 7.15 with hot food and drinks on the go, with kitchen and bar staff in working along with the cleaners. The proshop normally opens at 8 and the the caddymaster will open the range, putting balls out from 7.30 in the summer. Need to use your own in the winter. Ideal as far as I am concerned, and part of the Saturday experience is the banter and coffee / bacon rolls in the lounge before the draw is made for the sweep

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens staff start at about 5.30.

Our locker room (and toilets) is the first to open, opened by the cleaners. The lounge opens somewhere around 7.30 (I believe) live in caterer, the pro shop at 7.45 and the office opens after 8 but is only open some weekends.

Ist tee time varies between 7.30 and 8.00 depending on the time of year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
on a few occasions when I have played early in the summer the only things open were the gates. Mind you I was waiting on the 1st tee a 5.15am for it to be light enough to tee off.

I got a few funny looks going into the pro shop to pay the green fee at just after 8 and explaining that I had already finished!!

I remember 1 round at Selsdon Park when I was teeing off about 6am and my scorecard was taped to the pro shop door (I had booked and paid via Teeofftimes)

Not many courses left that allow very early morning tee off. Considered to be a health and safety issue these days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The clubhouse opens early, not sure what time but definitely before 8am. There will be no catering, no bar, no drinks. We have a token pro shop but that will not be open as it is part of the bar. In effect, you can sign in to a comp, pick up a card, you can use the changing rooms, toilets. Nothing else.

My guess is the wheels start turning at about 9am but I am always out by then so I am not sure.

Hackers76

Visit site
Our club shop opens up at 7:30 and we can get breakfast from this time too. Halfway hut opens around 9am in the summer at weekends but not always open in the winter

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing at my course. Usually get a few games about 6.30 in the summer before work and I'm there before the green keeper. But that's not usually with a small club like us.

Wolf

Visit site
Pro shop usually open by about 730 am, not sure about clubhouse facilities as only tend to go in shop before I play don't venture into club house until after my round, but most importantly the half way house is usually open by 900am.