When you let players resolve their own sporting arguments

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I played baseball here in the UK, I only threw at three people intentionally in all the years I pitched. And every time it was in retaliation for something they had done to one of my team-mates. If I hadn't done it, I would have lost the respect of them. One pitcher mouthed off at our guy after hitting him and the entire team turned to look at me - "Don't worry lads, I've got this". Said idiot comes up to bat a couple of innings later and after buzzing one past his chin, got him right in the ribs. Even the umpire laughed and told him he deserved it. Guy stood up as if to start something but my 6-5 1st baseman who played rugby for Saracens came over and one look put a stop to anything.

It is about respect for the game and your team-mates and even opponents. I remember laughing when an American guy hit a home run off me so far it should have had a stewardess on it. But when the line is crossed, you do something about it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Exactly this.

I've sat in the penalty box next to someone I've just been punched by, fist bumped them and congratulated them on catching me with a good one.

Even after the most aggressive games, we would always go for some food or a beer with the other team after a game.

Much like rugby, there is a mutual respect due to the physical and dangerous nature of the game. But during the game you show no weakness. I've had broken teeth and blood pooring out of my mouth, broken fingers and broken bones in my feet and carried on playing with a smile. Hurts like hell afterwards mind.

It's not for everyone. And probably why I don't lose my s#&t is someone doesn't mark their ball on the green ?
Sounds just like my nights out in Newcastle in the early 1980s.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What sport are you in? Hockey or do you actually want to fight? If you want to play hockey, play hockey. If you want to fight go into MMA or boxing. This just appeals to the lowest of sports fans in my opinion - reminds me of the hooligans that just turn up to matches for a fight rather than a game. It serves nothing to the game and shows a lack of sportsmanship. Each to their own but not for me and it certainly shouldn't be a practice in any other game.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I agree. Is it a sport? Is it MMA? All seems a bit Neanderthal to me. Get on with the game and stop trying to prove who's the manliest man. :rolleyes:

I miss the older times, Somone yapping all day like a dog would get called out, and would soon become a lot quieter. Now you have footballers saying vile stuff, spitting on each other with no reprecussions, No code.

Ice Hockey has a strict code, Rugby the same. The French went through a period of eye gouging, that stopped when the rest of the world self policed it.

Can you imagine this guy lasting in rugby or hockey?

xdm101-316-2013-232110-high-jpg.jpg

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
What sport are you in? Hockey or do you actually want to fight? If you want to play hockey, play hockey. If you want to fight go into MMA or boxing. This just appeals to the lowest of sports fans in my opinion - reminds me of the hooligans that just turn up to matches for a fight rather than a game. It serves nothing to the game and shows a lack of sportsmanship. Each to their own but not for me and it certainly shouldn't be a practice in any other game.

Absolute hooligans.......

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
98c26b6e3a395502b30783713d6167c5.jpg

You're right in saying that this has calmed down a lot in other sports though. Ice Hockey still see this as being acceptable and I think a lot of it is pandering to the crowd.
I remember the old days of Rugby League and I think of some of the real hard men of that era just from my old Widnes team. Vince Karalius, Jim Mills, Brian Hogan, Paul Woods, Glyn Shaw to name but a few. You crossed them at your peril.
It's nothing to do with the crowd, if the players wanted to stop fighting, they would - hockey has changed dramatically in the last few years, the guys who were only there to fight have now gone, thankfully.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's nothing to do with the crowd, if the players wanted to stop fighting, they would - hockey has changed dramatically in the last few years, the guys who were only there to fight have now gone, thankfully.

Correct - there is no place for the "enforcers"or "goons" in the modern-day NHL. But there is a place for self-policing and stopping players going round deliberately trying to hurt people when the NHL and their own team just ignore it.

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ice hockey is the best sport there is. It may seem complex from the outside, but once you've played it, it gets under your skin like nothing else.

I would give up golf and football forever to play another season of hockey. But my pastry knee and hip probably wouldn't make it through a warm-up ?

Ice Hockey is THE best game I've ever played.:love:
Travelled all over the Country with it.
Superb sport, just a pity we get old and knackered.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed. Nothing but toxic masculinity.