when to stop turning

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
imagine at set up the target line is 12'o clock, you chest is pointing at 3'o clock. when i strike the ball and follow through my chest ends up at 9'o clock. when i see golf pro's their turn seems to stop at about 11/12 o clock.

so when do you stop turning? at the moment i just let momentum take over that makes me turn to 9'o clock. do i need to stop my turn so i'm facing the target more?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you talking about the turn off your body (torso)?

I'd have thought (using your clock idea) that a golfer turns back to 6 o'clock and turns thorough to 12 o'clock.

simple-golf-swing.jpg

If you are ending up facing the opposite direction to where the ball is, you've got something to work on.

or have I misunderstood.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my feet stay in place.

what i ment was when you look at a good golfers finish they tend to have their chest pointing towards the target. my hip and torso continue a little more. instead of my chest facing the target my right shoulder does. it like i'm turning too much.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does seem like you are turning too much.

What's your 'bad' shot?

And, just to save a post by Bob... How's your grip?:whistle:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does seem like you are turning too much.

What's your 'bad' shot?

And, just to save a post by Bob... How's your grip?:whistle:

according to my last lesson. set up and grip are fine. infact the pro said at address ''you look like a tour player................... until you start moving ''

my bad shot is a low snap hook or high slice

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
according to my last lesson. set up and grip are fine. infact the pro said at address ''you look like a tour player................... until you start moving ''

my bad shot is a low snap hook or high slice

Proper reply to that has to be 'You seemed like a sympathetic coach - until you made that comment!' :rolleyes:

However, it would seem you should ensure that your club goes through the impact area in line with the target, with face more square, and finish with your navel/belt-buckle also pointing to the target. It's quite possible that you are not actually swinging your arms, so your 'swing' is being dominated by an upper body heave and, depending on timing/club-face angle, either of those bad shots can occur.

I'm sure Bob can specify a drill to help.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As long as you were accelerating into and through impact it does not matter how much you turn as long as you hit a good shot. If you dont hit good shots then you need to consider your balance and stability.