Does anyone live really close to a hospital?

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Having been renting various houses over the last 12 years we're finally in a position to buy. On wednesday we're going to view our number 1 target house, which is less than 2 minute walk to the main hospital in our area.

Without wanting to hang around the house for hours and listen.... does anyone have experience of when ambulances leave/arrive at a&e at what point to they turn on/off their sirens? I wonder if it could be a real noise issue.

I've lived by train tracks most of my life and know that they eventually fade into being background noise, but a siren.... not so sure it would.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think once they reach the hospital the sirens go off. I think they are only deployed when required, IE traffic light , approaching traffic etc

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big houses round my local hospital. Does not affect the prices one jot!😁

well thats one thing... the house we're going to look does need work, but seems a bit underpriced compared to others... and I wondered if being so close to the hospital has had an effect negatively.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I live fairly close to a hospital, but it doesn't have an A&E.

Ambulances only use sirens when necessary. After dark, flashing blue lights is usually enough.

I doubt you will have any more of a problem than someone living a mile or two from the hospital, if they are on a main road on a typical route to the hospital.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
well thats one thing... the house we're going to look does need work, but seems a bit underpriced compared to others... and I wondered if being so close to the hospital has had an effect negatively.
I would also look at the state of parking, is there on road parking, i know my local hospital (Roayl berks) parking is a nightmare, most of the local roads are protected by resident-only permits etc, but a consideration. If i got home and couldnt park where i wanted at my house beacuse its full or some doorknob has blocked my drive, that would do my head in!

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would also look at the state of parking, is there on road parking, i know my local hospital (Roayl berks) parking is a nightmare, most of the local roads are protected by resident-only permits etc, but a consideration. If i got home and couldnt park where i wanted at my house beacuse its full or some doorknob has blocked my drive, that would do my head in!

cheers for the thought... luckily the house is on a main road and there is no parking outside, but there is a driveway for our whips.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I did not live that close to a hospital, I was on the designated route for emergency vehicles. Yes, you did get the odd loud siren now and again which was the down side, the plus point was that we were always one of the first roads to be cleared when it snowed and it was always well gritted. Also kept well repaired by the council.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I lived within 50yds of the entrance to A&E for a couple of years - living in the residences. You hear the odd one but, to be honest, it’s not an issue.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Love on road adjacent to the main hospital which has an A&E.

I'd say we hear the helicopter once or twice a week, might here an ambulance once a day. Can't say I've ever been woke by any noise associated to it though.

I'd say the bigger thing to look out for is the parking issues that can arise.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grew up living opposite and ambulance station for my towns, and just up the road from the main fire station. You never noticed them. What I do notice is the amount of traffic in and around hospitals now and whilst you may not have parking outside your house, the traffic volume will be greater.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am with Voyager on this one I thought that ambulances only use the siren when necessary (when people fail to see the blue lights) The police on the other hand..........

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all, that has alayed some potential fears .... Now let's hope that I'm not too put off by the amount of decorating I think it will need 😟