When holes are closed how should players handicaps be adjusted. Do you get Nn/18th of handicap ?

Oldbutwise

Visit site
I agree with you but the club doesn’t and I can’t find this documented anywhere
We use Handicapmaster and I often set up 12 or 15 hole comps for our ladies and what I described is exactly how the software handles it. There is a page in the configuration that allows you to deselect holes not in play and it calculates the proportionate playing handicaps and it re-sorts stroke indices accordingly. Your handicap secretary should be able to do the same with their software.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree on this and think it’s how it should be. But we don’t do that and it results in favouring some and benefitting others but I can’t find anything on golf England or anywhere else to confirm it
I set up a competition in our HandicapMaster software to reflect a competition where only 12 holes are in play.

When it came to enter the scores for a particular player I could see that the competition software calculated the players COURSE handicap using the following formula...

COURSE Handicap = Handicap INDEX*(Slope/113)*(12/18)

So the COURSE handicap is calculated pro-rata based on the number of holes in play.

The PLAYING Handicap was then calculated in the normal way by taking 95% (for an Indivdual Strokeplay comp) of the ROUNDED COURSE Handicap (obviously this will change in April to UNROUNDED CH)

Edit: OK...i see that @Oldbutwise has posted exactly the same thing whilst I was typing.

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
Singles or pairs or teams?
Competitions or casual/fun?
Matchplay?

There are rules for competitions and general play handicap rounds.
There aren't rules (yet) for 4BBB. There will be from April.
There aren't rules for teams (3 from 4 say) or casual/fun play
Mainly Stableford. Including 4bbb and team

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use Handicapmaster and I often set up 12 or 15 hole comps for our ladies and what I described is exactly how the software handles it. There is a page in the configuration that allows you to deselect holes not in play and it calculates the proportionate playing handicaps and it re-sorts stroke indices accordingly. Your handicap secretary should be able to do the same with their software.
Is this for handicap qualifying or non qualifying rounds?

Oldbutwise

Visit site
Is this for handicap qualifying or non qualifying rounds?
The OP asked about non-qual but Handicapmaster would permit this to be used for qualifying where the usual nett par+1 and nett pars are added by the system to the holes not played. As you previously stated that'll all change on 1 Apr.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The OP asked about non-qual but Handicapmaster would permit this to be used for qualifying where the usual nett par+1 and nett pars are added by the system to the holes not played. As you previously stated that'll all change on 1 Apr.
It sounds like the user friendly modification request that HM are very responsive to.

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
I set up a competition in our HandicapMaster software to reflect a competition where only 12 holes are in play.

When it came to enter the scores for a particular player I could see that the competition software calculated the players COURSE handicap using the following formula...

COURSE Handicap = Handicap INDEX*(Slope/113)*(12/18)

So the COURSE handicap is calculated pro-rata based on the number of holes in play.

The PLAYING Handicap was then calculated in the normal way by taking 95% (for an Indivdual Strokeplay comp) of the ROUNDED COURSE Handicap (obviously this will change in April to UNROUNDED CH)

Edit: OK...i see that @Oldbutwise has posted exactly the same thing whilst I was typing.
Great. And I completely agree. I just can’t find it documented anywhere that it should work this way and our match and handicap don’t agree

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Great. And I completely agree. I just can’t find it documented anywhere that it should work this way and our match and handicap don’t agree
I dont think you will find it documented anywhere. I think this is one that the authorities leave for individual club committees to decide for themselves.

Swango1980

Visit site
This winter, we've frequently only had 15 holes open. We just work off normal handicap allowance, and if one of the 3 holes you get a shot is closed, too bad. Usually works out badly for me. I get 2 shots on my partner (who is usually lowest handicapper), holes 4, 5 and 6 are closed, and hole 6 is SI 2. So I lose 50% of my allowance. Holes 4 and 5 are SI 14 and 18, so any of our opponents getting 3-13 shots lose a smaller proportion of their allowance. To be honest, even if they were getting 14 - 18 shots, they still would get a lot more than 50% of their allowance.

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
This winter, we've frequently only had 15 holes open. We just work off normal handicap allowance, and if one of the 3 holes you get a shot is closed, too bad. Usually works out badly for me. I get 2 shots on my partner (who is usually lowest handicapper), holes 4, 5 and 6 are closed, and hole 6 is SI 2. So I lose 50% of my allowance. Holes 4 and 5 are SI 14 and 18, so any of our opponents getting 3-13 shots lose a smaller proportion of their allowance. To be honest, even if they were getting 14 - 18 shots, they still would get a lot more than 50% of their allowance.
Exactly. The whole point of a handicap system is to make the game fair and equitable for all. Leaving closed holes as luck of the draw means the handicap system on that day is not fair or consistent for all players. I know clubs apply this in different ways but how can anyone think this is right?