When do you think you will next play golf?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
what a stupid statement. how can you compare fishing to bear baiting and cock fighting? if you can't see the difference then you are crackers. when you hook a fish you hook the fleshy part of the mouth that has no blood supply. a 30lb carp is worth around 15k. Once the fish is the net it gets placed on a padded mat where the hook is removed and treated with antiseptic. whilst the fish is out the water the fish is also treated for sores and other skin ailments before being returned "alive". surely the fact the fish is still alive means it can't be the same and thrusting a sword into a bulls head and killing it.

not exactly barbaric is it? but it does sound better to support your argument. but hey, sit back and enjoy your steak that was zapped in the head with 50,000 volts so you can eat it

And when the hook comes out if the fishes eye is that not torture?

When I was younger I used to do a bit of sea fishing. Used to get quite a few mackerel where they attacked the feathers with such verocity that the hooks came out of the eye, through the lips which were ripped getting reeled in.

I think Murph has a point to an extent.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

When I was younger I used to do a bit of sea fishing. Used to get quite a few mackerel where they attacked the feathers with such verocity that the hooks came out of the eye, through the lips which were ripped getting reeled in.

no, your just crap at fishing if you're catching them by the eye. ?
it's forbidden to use multiple hooks in fresh water anyway (because it's cruel)

Diamond

Visit site

I take it you aren't a lover of Rick Stein then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Fishing. Not a sport. Torturing animals for pleasure should be banned, along with bear baiting, cock fighting, hare coursing, bull fighting, etc. Can't see a difference. At some point in the future, this will be seen as barbaric.
People say they don't feel anything. Really? They seem to struggle against it, and thrash about quite alot. No sign of them enjoying the sport to me.

If you had a hook in your lip would you pull & fight against it,or go with it to ease the pain?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

did you not eat them?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no animal lover but whether it hurts the fish or not, surely the idea of being snagged on a hook and dragged out of your home isn't appealing to anyone?
would you eat fish or meat?

at least you have a chance of escape, rather than suffocate in a net.

i do the odd bit of sea fishing but everything i catch we east same as with shooting

LoneRanger

Visit site
Our club owner, based on conversations he's had with other clubs locally, believes that there may be some opening of courses sometime in May but any golf will be played under strict restrictions and distancing.
Not sure where these people are getting their info from but anyway let’s hope so

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are not getting the info from the correct source, they are just guessing like we all are.

Have to agree that there is just a lot of guesswork going on. Unless Golf England etc are having discussions with the government and are briefing clubs on what procedures they may need in place then everything is pure guess work at this stage.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to agree that there is just a lot of guesswork going on. Unless Golf England etc are having discussions with the government and are briefing clubs on what procedures they may need in place then everything is pure guess work at this stage.
They are and we had an email from them yesterday setting out the broad framework of what clubs should be doing now in preparation "play safe , stay safe "

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
what a stupid statement. how can you compare fishing to bear baiting and cock fighting? if you can't see the difference then you are crackers. when you hook a fish you hook the fleshy part of the mouth that has no blood supply. a 30lb carp is worth around 15k. Once the fish is the net it gets placed on a padded mat where the hook is removed and treated with antiseptic. whilst the fish is out the water the fish is also treated for sores and other skin ailments before being returned "alive". surely the fact the fish is still alive means it can't be the same and thrusting a sword into a bulls head and killing it.

not exactly barbaric is it? but it does sound better to support your argument. but hey, sit back and enjoy your steak that was zapped in the head with 50,000 volts so you can eat it

If you can't see a difference between providing food, and a pastime, then the above also reads as pretty stupid. It does to me anyway.

The only reason fishing is never looking like getting banned is it is a vote lower. Too many people do it (unlike fox hunting).

As for suddenly providing A1 medical care for the fish, no, not buying it.

If I hunt you with a tazer, and patch you up so I can do it again beneficial to you? No.

But back to the thread. Where did mid May come from for a restart?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can't see a difference between providing food, and a pastime, then the above also reads as pretty stupid. It does to me anyway.

The only reason fishing is never looking like getting banned is it is a vote lower. Too many people do it (unlike fox hunting).

If I hunt you with a tazer, and patch you up so I can do it again beneficial to you? No.

believe it or not. this happens on every capture. or it should if you're responsible

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think that May comes from a lot of wishful thinking. Most golfers, unsurprisingly, think that golf is safe and that golf should be an exception and should be allowed. I suspect that many believed that golf would be allowed to continue at the end of the first lock down period and when that did not happen, the assumption was that of course it would be permitted at the end of this one. I am not sure which way I would go on this. I fully appreciate that the risk of playing golf if rules are followed is lower than many other activities but, in reality, I think that it is a perception issue and I do not think that golf will be allowed until it can be permitted as part of a wider relaxation of sport.