What's the best value course here (if any)?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As is so often the case, people seem to think value has to mean cheap. Value is a highly misused word. These are all exceptional courses and they are all good value in the market of exceptional courses.

Does make me wonder though what the difference is between a £200 green fee course and a £300 green fee course. What does one offer the other doesn't? Or is it simply demand setting price and there is nothing more exceptional for one over the other for the extra dosh
Or does the fact it once held xyz tournament or abc player has played there, make a course more exceptional

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does make me wonder though what the difference is between a £200 green fee course and a £300 green fee course. What does one offer the other doesn't?

The difference is they’re choosing to be in a different market segment and its that simple. What’s the difference between a 4 star hotel and a 5 star hotel? You can try to pick them apart in terms of function but they’re both just a bed to sleep in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The difference is they’re choosing to be in a different market segment and its that simple. What’s the difference between a 4 star hotel and a 5 star hotel? You can try to pick them apart in terms of function but they’re both just a bed to sleep in.

I get what you're saying, although isn't the star rating for hotels (at least in part) based on having certain facilities and services, that's by the by through

I wonder then what the base figure is for an 'exceptional' course i.e if its say £150 or £200 then courses charging more than the base are simply choosing to cater for a different market segment (which is fine) but the course itself is no more exceptional than its cheaper cousins

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder then what the base figure is for an 'exceptional' course i.e if its say £150 or £200 then courses charging more than the base are simply choosing to cater for a different market segment (which is fine) but the course itself is no more exceptional than its cheaper cousins

No I think you would find differences. There are obviously exceptions but I think most people could tell just by standing on the course because the difference is often present in the condition and presentation. Simply a result of the size of the greenkeeping staff that these exclusive courses can sustain in comparison.

There isn’t a single common reason though.

There are cheaper courses that are in exceptional condition. There are expensive courses in terrible condition. The list in the OP is neither of those things.

sunshine

Visit site
I understand how supply and demand works, so these courses are just letting the market decide what the right price is.

Having said that, the rapid increase is hard to stomach. For example Troon was £260 in 2021 and £315 now, others have similar increases. That’s a 20% increase and my disposable income has not increased 20%, in fact it’s decreased as costs rise faster than wages, so these courses are now much less affordable.