What would you do........

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know i wont be happy until i reach Cat 1 and to be honest im not good enough to know if that swing you see in the other post could get me to this level and maintain it.........

Personally I think you worry way too much about what your swing looks like. Far too concerned about whether it looks pretty, text book and aesthetically pleasing so people say ooh and aah about how good it LOOKS. We're all individual and a text book swing won't fit everyone - just look at the variety on show every week on the pro tour.

So - do you want the pretty swing or the one for you that gets the job done? Are you playing filmstar golf or scoring golf?

Plenty of very low handicappers with swings that you wouldn't desire BUT would desire their handicap and ability to play to it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

So - do you want the pretty swing or the one for you that gets the job done? Are you playing filmstar golf or scoring golf?

Plenty of very low handicappers with swings that you wouldn't desire BUT would desire their handicap and ability to play to it.

Hallelujah :thup:

S

Snelly

My mate Chris is of 2 and has a shocking swing. I can't believe he gets bat on ball sometimes. At least a 5 inch divot with every iron too. He is totally self taught, has an awesome short game and regularly beats much better players in scratch golf due to his ferocious competitiveness. Not pretty but very effective. He beats me usually and my swing is lovely to look at! :) ;)

That said, if you want a prettier swing, get your hands a bit higher at the top of your backswing. Too flat at the moment to be beautiful.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

You need to define 'gets the job done', what does that mean? If you're off 10/11 h/cap (as Kid2 is) is that 'getting the job done'? what about 9 h/cap? at what stage are you 'getting the job done'? It could be argued that someone who plays off 18 is already 'getting the job done'.

If we take examples from our lower h/cap forumers: Robobum (2 h/cap) has a good swing, Snelly (2 h/cap) has a very nice swing, Swinger (1 h/cap) has a very nice swing.... I would say that it is THEM who are getting the job done, but not with their talk.... with their swings.

There are concepts in the swing that a golfer has to grasp, they can do it with understanding or they can do it unwittingly, either way they will have a good swing.

I don't know that many people (if any) who play off 4,3,2,1, scratch that have undesirable swings, but I've seen a ton who play off 5.

Of the ones that play off 4,3,2,1, scratch their swings still need to be more refined, if not they would all play off +6 and be on the tour, but they generally have GOOD swings.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's Kid who needs to work out what, for him, defines getting the job done and work towards that...

Is it the textbook technical detail that does it or simply standing there, flaws and all, without a thought and hitting it? Seems in one range session he decided one got it done then changed his mind (sorry Kid)...

With my very flat swing I shot a gross 75 yesterday and for me that's a swing that gets the job done - for me. That doesn't mean I won't continue to work and refine my swing for as long as I'm fit enough to play this game. I'll continue to question and strive for improvement but always recognising it's not a one swing fits all world.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think it's Kid who needs to work out what, for him, defines getting the job done and work towards that...

I agree, he needs to work out his own 'getting the job done' level.

I also agree that it's not a 'one swing fits all' world. If someone can shoot a good score but they stand on one leg to do so then so be it.... but if their 75 could have been a 70 if they'd used the other leg - then what?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I think you worry way too much about what your swing looks like. Far too concerned about whether it looks pretty, text book and aesthetically pleasing so people say ooh and aah about how good it LOOKS. We're all individual and a text book swing won't fit everyone - just look at the variety on show every week on the pro tour.

Hallelujah :thup:

My mate Chris is of 2 and has a shocking swing. I can't believe he gets bat on ball sometimes. At least a 5 inch divot with every iron too. He is totally self taught, has an awesome short game and regularly beats much better players in scratch golf due to his ferocious competitiveness. Not pretty but very effective. He beats me usually and my swing is lovely to look at! :) ;)

That said, if you want a prettier swing, get your hands a bit higher at the top of your backswing. Too flat at the moment to be beautiful.

Thanks for the replies...... To be honest pretty doesn't bother me..... I didn't say I wanted a pretty swing in my op... At least I don't think I did..... What I want is a stable functioning swing..... I don't want to be fighting a 2 way miss around the course..... If it ends up pretty well then that's a bonus...... But if I look at my swing now I would say that I swing it pretty well for my handicap.... Iv seen a lot worse but like I said I'm not after pretty I'm after function...... In a word consistency...... A repeatable action...... But one where I'm confident of where the ball will go...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm after function...... In a word consistency...... A repeatable action...... But one where I'm confident of where the ball will go...

You'll never get what you're after if you keep tweaking and changing.

I've stuck with what my pro advised during the lessons I had and have worked at it religiously over the year. I've asked a few question in here of late, but that's more because I'm curiousas to how things work, rather than changing anything.

Go out there over the winter and play. After a while you'll see which areas of your game need improvement, as I did, then work from there, but don't change to much in one go.

Best of luck pal :thup: