What was going wrong?!

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
I had the worst round ever yesterday, and for the life of me couldn't understand what I was doing wrong.

All of my tee shots had no height, just went low with draw to the left and all of my iron shots were good but had the same straight -> draw to the left. Think I had a few decent chip shots and that was it!

I tried changing my stance and distance from the ball, tried different tee heights for the driver but nothing changed!

Any input please guys?!

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks. I just did a session at the driving range and I can feel some blisters coming up already so I guess you may be right!

Any particular examples on YouTube which are good??

D

Deleted Member 1156

Left hand too strong. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to fix a strong grip.

You really can't come out with stuff like this, it could be one of a multitude of things causing the problem. A strong grip is one of them but it could also be coming over the top, ball position, alignment etc etc.

To the OP.....as always either post a video or go see your local pro. Anything else on here is just guesswork.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok, without video all one can do is guess. Pretty sure I am right though. :thup:

If you are hitting consistently low hooks then it will be the grip. if coming over the top chances are you will hit quite a few slices along with pulls.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what happens at impact is always heavily influenced by what happens before, often grip, aim, ball position, posture to how the club is taken back back on what path/plane etc. as ever if you can get to a PGA pro he can check the whole bunch of things over.

here's a good vid explaining how to get a decent left hand grip.

- oft times though it's more how the right hand is being put on the handle, that being more under the handle & too much in the palm of the hand that is responsible for 'rolling or twisting the club away at the get-go' from address then making the opposite happen coming into to impact in having to 'roll' it back some.
trouble is this has much too much club face rotation immediately prior to impact which closes & delofts the face oft times getting toe strikes which twists the grip in the hands at impact - often responsible for the blisters/cuts etc.

[video=youtube_share;wMLpg38gEJE]http://youtu.be/wMLpg38gEJE[/video]

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks coach, need to re-address my grip because I've compared those videos to what I'm doing and it looks like I've slipped into some bad habits. Going to visit the range again on Friday and try with the correct grip :)

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you guys, and the coach for those videos - I adjusts my left hand grip to be further round the grip as per that video and the difference it made at the range this afternoon was amazing! 95% of my shots with any club were just what I wanted!
I've got a round tomorrow morning so we'll see if I can put it into practice! Although hitting 200 balls this afternoon has resulted in a blister on my right thumb :(