What type of flex?

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to golf and as such don't know anything about golf shafts. I can't hit my driver or three wood without a massive left to right, so my mate has given me a Callaway 2h, and I have moved the ball an inch farther back in my stance. The thing is flying and straight, and everyone is saying the big difference is the shaft flex, or so I am told. I have been told that I have a slow swing and as such need a flexible shaft. The shaft on the 2h says "mid torque, light, mid kick, 80g" what does this mean?
Should I buy a regular flex, stiff flex or something else?

Thanks for your help,

Davie

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That flex will work nicely. It will say the flex on it somewhere, maybe just an R or, more likely, an S if it is 80g and you are hitting it straighter.

Not terribly S though, if a stock Callaway shaft. Don't assume you need the same flex in any other club. Shaft flex is very variable from one make to another, so you may need S in one and R in another.

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks mate, it doesn't say R or S on it. I am looking to get a Callaway Hyper X Driver, but don't know whether to get a stiff or regular shaft? Any recommendations?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take a picture of the shaft label and post it here, or tell us the wording on the shaft. The weight may be a clue to the flex.

Is it an X Hybrid, or a heavenwood, or a FT hybrid?

From the sounds of it, you had one club which was wild, and then another which was more consistent. I think it is probably a reasonable guess that you went from a R to a S. But can't really be sure.