What to prioritise in golf lessons for mid-handicapper?

evemccc

Visit site
I'm starting lessons with a pro and after a good intro lesson need to decide how many lessons to book in the packages offered.
My general practice regimen includes at-home putting practice, putting green and chipping green and driving range. Plan on practicing and playing between lessons, to embed what I'm taught each session.

What do you think are the priorities for an all-round average player? And with money fairly tight, at what point does money spent on more course playing time equate to more value for money over another lesson?

I was thinking I want to definitely prioritise on a driver lesson or two, general swing and posture for mid/long irons, pitching and short-game and a putting lesson....so 6? I'm a 15 handicap

Thanks

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
From your course rounds, are you able to determine your ability, or lack of?, as happens generally on a typical hole.
I.e
Do you drive reasonably: do you get tee to green well: when short of green, do you chip OK or always badly. How do you putt mostly.

You know which is the best and worst parts.
Generally, at higher handicaps, it's the full swing to strike the ball consistently well that I imagine is needing most attention.

Just my two cents ?

evemccc

Visit site
Thanks for replies
I think (hope..?) I should be able to drop HDCP a little bit as I think my game is okay, Driver is v unpredictable and therefore give away 4-6 shots a round through penalties

How are putting lessons and how many usually needed? I don’t want to buy a new putter so don’t want a putter fitting!

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
If the driver is unpredictable and costing that amount of shots then that is the area to concentrate on, how far do you hit the driver [ not forum distance ] do you carry a 3 wood that is maybe a little shorter in distance but keeps you out of trouble.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for replies
I think (hope..?) I should be able to drop HDCP a little bit as I think my game is okay, Driver is v unpredictable and therefore give away 4-6 shots a round through penalties

How are putting lessons and how many usually needed? I don’t want to buy a new putter so don’t want a putter fitting!

Try and find someone who has the SAM puttlab system for your putting.
Where abouts are you, someome might be able to recommend.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for replies

4-6 shots a round is a hell of a lot through penalties. You need to look at your course management too.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can identify your weak points and work most on those you should get most bang for your buck.
In general opinion seems to be moving in the direction that it is ultimately the long game that determines how good a golfer you are though quick improvements may be a bit easier with the short game and game management.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was taught if you can hit a 5 iron you can hit anything.
Driver is important keep it in play.
But no part is more important than another ,they all cost a shot.
Don’t put to much pressure on yourself just enjoy your learning.
Work on your weaknesses is good advice.

evemccc

Visit site
Surely you will need more than one lesson per area as how else would you know if you are getting things right?
Agreed?

Short of being as good as Brooks/Rory, you can always get more lessons — but my question is for those who’ve had a series of lessons or got to low single figures/scratch level, is more time (and money) spent playing and practicing better, or are multiple lessons on the same core skills better?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed?

Short of being as good as Brooks/Rory, you can always get more lessons — but my question is for those who’ve had a series of lessons or got to low single figures/scratch level, is more time (and money) spent playing and practicing better, or are multiple lessons on the same core skills better?
I got down to 1 cap.
I did have lessons to start but you need to put that into practice.
I found playing more important, as no matter how you practice you only get one go at a shot on the course.
I used to play very early so course was empty .
So if you hit a bad shot you had time to have another go.
You can’t do that when it’s busy, you would need to go practice after your round on the ones you messed up.
Swings and roundabouts really.
Everyone has weaknesses ( driver is mine) but a good short game can hide that.
No matter how well you drive the ball if you miss your putts you can’t score well.
Look at P Michelson he is not the best driver of the ball.
But when he drives it ok he wins because the rest of his game is good.
Do a pros and cons list you might be surprised but you must be honest no fudging.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that stuck with me was a lesson on distance.
so 7 iron was 160 yds( then not now unfortunately)
So try hit it 160yds with 8iron and 6 iron .
This shows the massive difference knowing your yardages has.
8 iron lunatic swing very erratic results.
6 iron easy But much more repeatable.
I used to do this on the par 3 s if I had time.
But on the practice ground is good.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Speak to the guy giving you lessons and tell him what your long term goals are (e.g. single figures or as close as possible). The best way for him to see the current state of your game and where you're week is to go for a playing lesson. Winter is a good time to make bigger swing changes but if you want something as a quick improver work on the bunker play, and then pitching from 50 yards and in and the chipping.

evemccc

Visit site
Thanks all for advice. This forum is useful place to gather various insights from different people's different golf experiences(y)

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Difference from me at 17 handicap 2 years ago and me being a 10 capper now is 100% driver

Keep that in play and narrow it down to a repeatable shot pattern and that will get you to low teens...

for me to get to single figures i need to eliminate the odd fat or thin. When I’m striking it well and controlling low point I’m in the 70s