What should my mate try next?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Me and my mate have been playing golf for almost 12 years now, we started together and I am now off 16 and he is off 26.
If anyone on here asks for advice on how to improve it’s guaranteed there will be answers along the lines of get lessons and get fitted for clubs that suit you. Well last year when he retired he had vouchers from work and his wife for a golf fitting session which he duly had and got a complete new set apart from putter which I think cost him almost £2000 in total. At the same time due to the fact he had retired and had spare time took lessons and started practicing a lot which is something he never used to do. One would think with this in place things would get better and handicap would start to come down, unfortunately the exact opposite has happened, he’s got worse, h/c on the rise and he’s not really enjoying things as much as he used to. Feel a bit sorry for him to be perfectly honest.
I’m not looking for any advice or anything, just simply stating that lessons and club fitting is not the magical answer to the problem for everyone.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Me and my mate have been playing golf for almost 12 years now, we started together and I am now off 16 and he is off 26.
If anyone on here asks for advice on how to improve it’s guaranteed there will be answers along the lines of get lessons and get fitted for clubs that suit you. Well last year when he retired he had vouchers from work and his wife for a golf fitting session which he duly had and got a complete new set apart from putter which I think cost him almost £2000 in total. At the same time due to the fact he had retired and had spare time took lessons and started practicing a lot which is something he never used to do. One would think with this in place things would get better and handicap would start to come down, unfortunately the exact opposite has happened, he’s got worse, h/c on the rise and he’s not really enjoying things as much as he used to. Feel a bit sorry for him to be perfectly honest.
I’m not looking for any advice or anything, just simply stating that lessons and club fitting is not the magical answer to the problem for everyone.

How does he like the coach he picked?
How does he practice?

Most improvement is not just based on effort but how you apply it.

Does he do exactly as the coach tells him?
Does he spend a lot of time making changes or just repeatedly bash balls and play his normal golf?

Learning, being coachable and improving is as much a skill as golf or whatever the outcome is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well everyone can't be good at everything. :LOL:

Maybe try a different approach - have a look at Zen Golf which Robin Matthews-Williams was touting for a while - taught by Marcus Bell I think his name is. It's just a different way of looking at the golf swing, less technical and more organic.

Here's one example:

4LEX

Visit site
The quality of coaches varies.....unfortunately due to the appalling way the PGA regulate coaching most are failed players who coach through desperation to stay in the industry.

That said, your friend might just being struggling with a new grip and swing plane which can cause your game to take two steps back short term.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is an assumption that people will always improve, that isn't the case. Golf in particular is a game where it is quite easy to get worse, you get into a spiral. It is so precise, the margin for error so small, that it is easy to get into bad habits. One thing out of place knocks another 3 or 4 things out of sync and on it goes. Playing more or practising more with a problem just practices the problem, if that makes sense.

Your mate may need to step back, have a few weeks off and then go again. Not improving is not a problem but losing the love for any sport or hobby is. I hope that he finds it again.

D

Deleted member 23270

As stated already, lessons only work if you apply what the teacher has instructed. It took me 3 years to get comfortable with a swing change to get rid of my flying right elbow and you often go backwards before making progress.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there is an assumption that people will always improve, that isn't the case. Golf in particular is a game where it is quite easy to get worse, you get into a spiral. It is so precise, the margin for error so small, that it is easy to get into bad habits. One thing out of place knocks another 3 or 4 things out of sync and on it goes. Playing more or practising more with a problem just practices the problem, if that makes sense.

Your mate may need to step back, have a few weeks off and then go again. Not improving is not a problem but losing the love for any sport or hobby is. I hope that he finds it again.

That’s a great answer.

He’s practicing everything the pro tells him which in the past hasn’t always been the case! To be honest he looks a bit like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights at the moment with a million thoughts going through his head. We all tell him to chill out a bit but easier said than done. The one thing I hope is he doesn’t do is fall out of love with the game but I don’t think he will. May suggest an on course lesson then the pro can see what he’s up against!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s a great answer.

He’s practicing everything the pro tells him which in the past hasn’t always been the case! To be honest he looks a bit like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights at the moment with a million thoughts going through his head. We all tell him to chill out a bit but easier said than done. The one thing I hope is he doesn’t do is fall out of love with the game but I don’t think he will. May suggest an on course lesson then the pro can see what he’s up against!

Where do you see the weaknesses in his game?
If you play with him all the time they should stand out a mile to you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just go out and enjoy it. When he's no longer enjoying it then question whether he wants to keep going.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Does he look at his statistics at all? even if its just simple ones like ave. scoring to par? when i did this i was surprised that my par 3 scoring was quite a bit worse than par 4 and 5, so just gave me something to focus on.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Where do you see the weaknesses in his game?
If you play with him all the time they should stand out a mile to you.

He needs a better full swing using his body, he mostly uses his arms concecuentaly not getting good distance and also he is a bit fixated with numbers, many times I see him look at his watch to see how far the flag is and he’s only got a 10yd chip. He also always wants to know wether the the flag is front, middle or back on par 3,s , my answer is always the same, it’s there, look you can see it! Too many thoughts going on in his head most of the time but he won’t ever change, just the way he is.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Does he look at his statistics at all? even if its just simple ones like ave. scoring to par? when i did this i was surprised that my par 3 scoring was quite a bit worse than par 4 and 5, so just gave me something to focus on.

He is quite good on short par 3,s, looking at his scores the other day and the 2 short par 3s have been parred more than any other.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too much pressure to improve now he’s spent all the money and is dedicating time to it. Plus his head is a muddle from too much technical information from a well meaning but not very good pro.

Those are the issues as I see them. I know you didn’t ask for solutions but if u agree those are the problems all you need to do is tell him that. He’ll figure it out

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably should have titled it more accordingly then.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Or to paraphrase, if you're crap, you're crap ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or to paraphrase, if you're crap, you're crap ;)
That's brutal, just brutal ?

Joking apart, many rugby, hockey and maybe other clubs will have 4 or more teams for various levels. The bottom team will have the young starting out, the old hanging on and the ones who just are not very good but love the game, whatever it is. No shame in being an enthusiastic 4th team player. It's the love of the sport that counts.