What makes long irons harder to hit?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
4i is my longest iron. It's hit and miss. When it comes off, it's a lovely club to hit. Long, loads of roll out, wonderful shape in the air.

When I try and muller it - as stated by so many here, looking down thinking I really need to hit it to get it in the air etc - it's either a terrible slice or a horrible top that barely makes the ladies tee!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm actually planning to fit for Orka irons this year so I'm going to see if having custom fit irons helps. My current ones are just standard. At least I think they are, they were second hand. :unsure:

You feeling ok ? That’s a lot of cash 😂 win the lotto? 😬

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No, I really hate the idea of having a really long pitching wedge or 9 iron. It sounds awful. My current solution is just not to use the 6 iron unless absolutely necessary. :LOL:
Try a 27* hybrid! Works for me! No room for 'ego' on a scorecard!

As for the OP question....

The longer the shaft the harder it is to find the middle of a club.

This pretty much sums it up! The tolerance for (swing) error is far less with a longer shaft. And the head(s) of the longer clubs are also smaller than those of shorter ones exaggerating the 'problem'!

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well just got back from playing 9 holes I can confirm a 3 iron is hard to hit from the fairway😀

Strangely I hit the 4 iron well from the tee and fairway, one par 4 I hit a 4 iron from just under 170 yards to15 foot past pin and holed the put for birdie, I did hit a few poor shots but mostly the 4 iron was hit well so I will ditch the hybrids for the next few rounds to see how it goes.

I used driver then 4 iron off the tees, driver was around 35 yards longer but the best 4 iron was roughly 20 yards shorter than driver.