What makes Jiminez so deadly?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I am fascinated by Jiminez's swing as a model for the older, shorter hitting player. It's unusual with its flat plane and hands well away from the body. A flat plane is obviously the way he sees it because his practice swing is pure baseball. He's amazingly straight and I wonder if it is a coincidence that one of the straightest hitters of all time, Mo Norman, swung in a similar way. Mo stood well away from the ball, with his arms & shoulders in a straight line, not unlike Jiminez. My swing is on a very flat plane and, although I suffer from the problems associated with a shallow angle of attack, I hit it very straight when I'm hitting it well.

What is the secret of his success? I drink red wine and enjoy good food, although I don't smoke cigars, but it can't just be that. What does anyone else think? Does this kind of swing allow you to hit it straight?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Be interesting to see if his swing has changed as he has aged. others have had well documented swing changes that havn't really worked (Harrington) or has he always had this type of swing and is it a style that us over 50's should try?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would say his secret is his warm up routine :thup:

C

c1973

It might be the endless hours spent in the gym and on the range.

I've drank wine that has made me wittier, more charming and irresistible to the opposite sex but I've never found a bottle that made me a better golfer. :)

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah well the reason Jimenez is so good is that while you were slaving behind a desk or counter he was hitting golf balls and playing golf for a living. If you had 8 hours a day to do the same you would be a tour player too mate.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Ah well the reason Jimenez is so good is that while you were slaving behind a desk or counter he was hitting golf balls and playing golf for a living. If you had 8 hours a day to do the same you would be a tour player too mate.

Except that he's the oldest player to win a European Tour event, twice! And came 4th in the Masters, despite not hitting it very long at all. I'm sure that many players of his age practice as much, if not more, than him. The question is, why is he exceptional?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do not think he is exceptional, it has taken him a long time to start winning, his record isn't that sparkling when compered to other great golfers. He's a good pro no doubt at all but I wouldn't say exceptional. I like watching him too.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I do not think he is exceptional, it has taken him a long time to start winning, his record isn't that sparkling when compered to other great golfers. He's a good pro no doubt at all but I wouldn't say exceptional. I like watching him too.

I think winning at his age is exceptional. He's old, got a beer belly, looks like your mate's dad and yet beats players 20 years younger than him. The point is that he swings in an unusual way but is one of the most accurate players, especially with the fairway woods, on the tour.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think winning at his age is exceptional. He's old, got a beer belly, looks like your mate's dad and yet beats players 20 years younger than him. The point is that he swings in an unusual way but is one of the most accurate players, especially with the fairway woods, on the tour.

Agree MIB, the guy is exceptional. He's fascinating to watch and even better to listen too! Long may it continue, the game needs characters like Miguel :thup:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
He doesn't tend to win on courses that are particularly long. As you said he's straight and accurate and when on form a good putter. Which is where his wins come from. If you can get the short stick working all week your always going to be in with a chance.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To go a little off topic, my favourite Jimenez story is one from a few years ago, to be able to practice over the winter he bought a mobile home, stripped the front off it and put in big screen doors, then a range mat and hit balls out to sea, he's innovative and I like that. Unless I've been horribly misinformed and this story is fictional!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree. Not unusual in having an unusual swing and definitely loads of fun to watch. I think there is much more to come too

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To go a little off topic, my favourite Jimenez story is one from a few years ago, to be able to practice over the winter he bought a mobile home, stripped the front off it and put in big screen doors, then a range mat and hit balls out to sea, he's innovative and I like that. Unless I've been horribly misinformed and this story is fictional!
hmmm what do you think:whistle:
I agree. Not unusual in having an unusual swing and definitely loads of fun to watch. I think there is much more to come too
disagree, he's not going to get any better is he really.