What makes Golf Monthly different?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
If one goes to the individual forum headings here (as opposed to just reading the most recent posts),
one will NOT find a single forum category heading listed about equipment.

On ALL the various American golf internet fora,
there are multiple forum headings specifically about equipment.

My Golf Spy, for example, is COMPLETELY about equipment
with all other subjects being ancillary.

Golf Monthly, a refreshing change to be honest, has almost NO discussion about equipment.

Is this a Golf Monthly thing or a UK thing in general?
Are English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish players particularly secretive about their equipment preferences?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's better this way, to have all general golf discussion in the same place. If you have loads of sub-divisions, there's always a section that people neglect and it becomes pretty inactive. On here for example, if you post in "Ask The Experts" you'll only get a couple of replies because not everyone read that far down (and there are precious few 'experts' in anything :LOL: ). There's no need to divide every sub-topic of golf out.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont go on other forums, but would say the trend of GM since I joined is less about golf and more of a general lifestyle forum mostly middle aged grumpy old men.

Parts of the forum that used to be active are no more, which is a real shame and whilst I'll read up on here daily most of the time, I see myself posting less and less (dont all cheer at once).

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I think it's better this way, to have all general golf discussion in the same place. If you have loads of sub-divisions, there's always a section that people neglect and it becomes pretty inactive. On here for example, if you post in "Ask The Experts" you'll only get a couple of replies because not everyone read that far down (and there are precious few 'experts' in anything :LOL: ). There's no need to divide every sub-topic of golf out.
I agree about not needing to sub-divide anything.
My primary curiosity, however, is why there's so little discussion about equipment as compared to other golf internet fora.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree about not needing to sub-divide anything.
My primary curiosity, however, is why there's so little discussion about equipment as compared to other golf internet fora.
Is there little discussion about equipment? I quite often see topics about latest driver fittings, balls etc. Perhaps the age demographic on here is older, more people who stick to the clubs they know and perhaps use older models? Whereas a younger demographic is chopping and changing to the latest clubs more? Just guessing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I joined August 2007 so I've seen a lot changes on here in that time. There was a lot more discussion about equipment but there were also a lot more opportunities to test various stuff in GM competitions. Of course the economic landscape has changed since then and these opportunities are fewer (which you can't blame GM for) and costs have increased significantly. I think equipment still gets fully discussed so I guess put the question/comment up and see where the thread goes

PaulMdj

Visit site
If you click on the Golf Monthly picture at the top of the page it takes you to the Magazines latest news pages, on there you’ll see equipment reviews, latest tour news and other Golf related articles.

This is similar to the MGS site, with the biggest difference being Golf Monthly don’t have a user feedback or question area at the bottom of their articles.

When I was on here first time the forum was ran by the GM staff and they had a lot more input in to both subjects and threads, it’s very rare these days to see any GM Staff interacting on the forum.

They took a step back a few years ago for reasons others can probably explain as I’m unsure.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is this a Golf Monthly thing or a UK thing in general?
Are English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish players particularly secretive about their equipment preferences?

Not secretive at all as far as I can tell.
Many posts on "I bought today" and often a single thread on a new driver or irons set etc.

But a preference for moaning as oppose to enthusing is something quite British. (In particular for the demographic mentioned by SteveW86)
Australians call us "Whingeing Poms".
And the main thing to moan about with regards to new equipment is the price. But doing that over and over again would be very boring.

If we spent too much time moaning about new equipment this could prove tricky for GM with regards to their income from advertising that they rely on.

I think the balance is about right at the moment with regards to kit.
No need for a subsection.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't change my equipment unless I need to, so there is no interest in constant equipment chatter/boasting.
I also cannot drive as far as most Americans.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't go on any other golf forums so I have no basis for comparison, but it's interesting to hear that GM is equipment-lite. That's probably what keeps me engaged in here - I've got very little interest in equipment so if that was the focus I'd get bored.
As to why it's different. No idea! Hope that helps. :LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I go on the WRX classic sub forum and there's guys on there who occasionally used to hit their balata balls 300 yards with their persimmon woods.
nothing really unusual about that in one respect

When the Golf Channel was on Sky it used to show Shell's Wonderful World of Golf a series of matches with various pros from the in 60s and it was not unusual for the pros to hit it that sort of distance back then.

Jack Nicklaus could hit the 18th green at St Andrews in 1 using that equipment.

Arleneg

Visit site
Golf Monthly emphasizes playing tips and course reviews over gear. In the UK, there's more focus on the overall experience rather than just equipment.