What length is your driver? Have you changed it from the standard club length?

What length is your driver?

• Standard - Off the shelf length!

• Shorter - Custom length!

• Longer - Custom length!

• No idea - I just wallop it!

• I don’t use a driver.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boomy

Visit site
I use plain round grips so there is no 'designed place'. This also allows me to open and close the the club face for the shot I am trying to hit (draw/fade).

You use plain round grips which are the same thickness from top to bottom?

Boomy

Visit site
I didn’t know so had to check, I use the Ping Tour S 65, which is a 45.25 inch shaft apparently.

I noticed that the Ping Tour shafts are half and inch shorter at 45.25” versus the Alta CB stock shafts at 45.75” All the hype would have you believe that the tour players use 46-48” (until the 46” limit was applied) but in reality they play shorter shafts than us amateurs are fitted for.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
If it’s keeping it in play more and no loss of distance why not stick with the slightly shorter set up I guess?

Because I'm hoping to build up to it, my longer shaft does go longer when I catch it well and I have tightened the dispersion up.

Come spring the shorter shaft may well end up back in it.

Boomy

Visit site
I have in the past, Winn wraps.

If you’re using a standard grip which is thicker at the top, designed to sit comfortably in your palm, but you’re gripping down on the thinner part of the grip then you’re not holding it in the designed place - which was my earlier point. But if it works for you then obviously that’s great ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Also have the Alta CB shaft.

Reduced it by an inch and feels much more comfortable than before but I use one of those Jumbomax grips.

Although tho I’m more happy with it now I borrowed my friends standard length driver a grip recently was hitting very accurate bombs which really makes me doubt my own tools. Probably just me tho.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I highlight that point further back in the thread - likely not in driver fittings as much as they do in iron fittings.
This question has been asked frequently on the TXG channel..the answer from Mr Fraser is that barely anyone walks out with a shaft longernthan 45 1/2" and more often than not it's 45".
Depends on the fitter....when I had a fit for the original Epic driver I was recommended a 1 inch shorter shelf.

Haven't measured the current driver shaft...feels a bit shorter than the Ping I had previously
It's in the car and it's blistering down so maybe later...:LOL:

Boomy

Visit site
Also have the Alta CB shaft.

Reduced it by an inch and feels much more comfortable than before but I use one of those Jumbomax grips.

Although tho I’m more happy with it now I borrowed my friends standard length driver a grip recently was hitting very accurate bombs which really makes me doubt my own tools. Probably just me tho.

I guess part of the reply to that would be; are you using the jumbomax grips because Bryson does (same as the one length shaft irons perhaps) or because you have big hands, or maybe just they’re more comfortable? All absolutely fine reasons but is it costing you extra distance or control. Maybe worth trying different grip sizes and shafts to see if you are getting the most out of your set up ? (which is exactly what I’ve done)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They do indeed, I was quite surprised when I was researching it as to how much shorter pros driver shafts are. My coach, who is a active playing pro, and well over 6ft tall plays a 44” shaft in his driver.

I also researched this but a few years ago and came to the conclusion that most golfers are being sold drivers to the detriment of their game.

The big push by manufacturers is always distance, testing drivers by robotics increasing length then promoting the distance gained by their latest drivers.

Boomy

Visit site
This question has been asked frequently on the TXG channel..the answer from Mr Fraser is that barely anyone walks out with a shaft longernthan 45 1/2" and more often than not it's 45".
Depends on the fitter....when I had a fit for the original Epic driver I was recommended a 1 inch shorter shelf.

Haven't measured the current driver shaft...feels a bit shorter than the Ping I had previously
It's in the car and it's blistering down so maybe later...:LOL:

Ha ha I don’t blame you, it’s pouring down here too ☔

But then, is 45/45.5” too long for a lot of amateur golfers? Are the OEM’s trying to squeeze yards out of the amateurs whilst on a trackman for “I carry it xxx” bragging rights, when in fact the pros play a shorter shaft which could help us keep it in play more and without losing yardage.

Boomy

Visit site
I also researched this but a few years ago and came to the conclusion that most golfers are being sold drivers to the detriment of their game.

The big push by manufacturers is always distance, testing drivers by robotics increasing length then promoting the distance gained by their latest drivers.

Exactly this sir ??

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I guess part of the reply to that would be; are you using the jumbomax grips because Bryson does (same as the one length shaft irons perhaps) or because you have big hands, or maybe just they’re more comfortable? All absolutely fine reasons but is it costing you extra distance or control. Maybe worth trying different grip sizes and shafts to see if you are getting the most out of your set up ? (which is exactly what I’ve done)

My 100% genuine honest answer here….

I didn’t even know who Bryson was when I got kitted out. After purchasing the 1L’s with midsize grips I invested in a G245 and looked on eBay for the biggest sized grips on the market and was intrigued to give it a go.

I was also buying lots of ‘Puma’ golf attire at the time aswell because I didn’t want to look ‘golfy’.

Next time I saw my friends they started saying ‘I’d gone full Bryson’ which had me confused. So the next day I googled him.

Couldn’t of been any more of a coincidence if I tried….

The midsize iron grips/jumbomax driver is the only grips I’ve ever known which were to try and ease comfort due to having a tendon laceration in my left hand.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Strange thing is that the best I can remember when driving was when I had a Ping tour shaft. Which was deffo shorter. I upgraded my driver to a 410 with a off the shelf shaft. suffice to say I had a “golden month“, but bottom line after a few expensive lessons am back to being rammel. Just this morning I have swopped the shaft in my fairway wood to see if there is any difference. I will find out on Tuesday. That said am sure it don’t compensate for a rammel swing. Which is fine with me three wood up to me wedges.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
My driver is an undersized 307cc model with 43¾" shaft.

I don't have a special driver swing.
I need a driver that lets me push the tee almost all the way down and hit down at the ball.

The TaylorMade 300 13.5° driver was only in production briefly but I managed to get one.
It's partnered with an 18° Mizuno driving iron (Fli Hi II) for my tee shot combo.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just spent the last 20 minutes looking for lengths of Ping tour shafts. I can find all details apart from shaft lengths.?