What length is your driver? Have you changed it from the standard club length?

What length is your driver?

• Standard - Off the shelf length!

• Shorter - Custom length!

• Longer - Custom length!

• No idea - I just wallop it!

• I don’t use a driver.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine is standard for the shaft that it is (Tensei Orange), but that was a quarter of an inch or something shorter than the standard Ping shaft. So it's 45.25 inch or something like that. I hit driver quite well so don't feel the need to experiment in making shorter and potentially losing precious distance.

Boomy

Visit site
Just spent the last 20 minutes looking for lengths of Ping tour shafts. I can find all details apart from shaft lengths.?

You didn’t need to look too far?.... the answer is on this thread #18

The Ping Tour shafts are 45.25” and the stock Ping shafts are slightly longer at 45.75”

If you’re trying a fairway shaft the driver head size is approx 1.25” so add that onto your fairway shaft length to find what you’re using ?

Boomy

Visit site
Mine is standard for the shaft that it is (Tensei Orange), but that was a quarter of an inch or something shorter than the standard Ping shaft. So it's 45.25 inch or something like that. I hit driver quite well so don't feel the need to experiment in making shorter and potentially losing precious distance.

But what if you gained distance and improved dispersion ??

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You didn’t need to look too far?.... the answer is on this thread #18

The Ping Tour shafts are 45.25” and the stock Ping shafts are slightly longer at 45.75”

If you’re trying a fairway shaft the driver head size is approx 1.25” so add that onto your fairway shaft length to find what you’re using ?

Found it ???????

Boomy

Visit site
How can it gain distance? Unless I was hitting it terribly beforehand, which I'm not.

Really? So that’s it, you’re at your max distance? Where you’re at now is as far as you can possibly hit it ? A lot of people shorten driver shaft length and gain distance through a better strike, increased club head speed, increased confidence… But hey if you’re happy with it then leave it as it is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? So that’s it, you’re at your max distance? Where you’re at now is as far as you can possibly hit it ? A lot of people shorten driver shaft length and gain distance through a better strike, increased club head speed, increased confidence… But hey if you’re happy with it then leave it as it is.
It sounds like either you're confused, or I've got it wrong. My understanding was the longer the shaft, the more clubhead speed because of the bigger turning circle. Hence more distance - and why Bryson and Mickelson were playing 47.5 inch shafts. The only mitigating factor to that would be if you were striking it badly and the shorter shaft means you hit the middle of the face every time. But I don't think I do strike it badly, as I've said, driving is probably the best part of my game in terms of consistency. So I don't think there's any chance a shorter shaft could give me more distance.

D

Deleted member 1147

It sounds like either you're confused, or I've got it wrong. My understanding was the longer the shaft, the more clubhead speed because of the bigger turning circle. Hence more distance - and why Bryson and Mickelson were playing 47.5 inch shafts. The only mitigating factor to that would be if you were striking it badly and the shorter shaft means you hit the middle of the face every time. But I don't think I do strike it badly, as I've said, driving is probably the best part of my game in terms of consistency. So I don't think there's any chance a shorter shaft could give me more distance.
Longer shaft can produce faster clubhead speed.
But shorter shafts can lead to better strike, if you hit the sweet spot more regularly.
It’s a trade off between speed and consistency.

Boomy

Visit site

Neither, I’m definitely not confused, and you’re not wrong.

A longer shaft can increase club head speed because of the increased ‘turning circle’ as you put it. It can also make it a lot harder to hit the centre of the face and is harder to commit a full speed swing to.

A shorter shaft can make it a lot easier to hit the centre of the face, which increases confidence and means the player can fully commit (and swing more powerfully = increased speed)

You don’t always need to increase speed to hit it further, a lot of players swing speeds are often more than enough for big carry distance but the strike is off centre or guided due to a lack of control with the club head.

But as you say, if you feel where you are at it ideal, don’t mess with it - if it ain’t broke and all that ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Longer shaft can produce faster clubhead speed.
But shorter shafts can lead to better strike, if you hit the sweet spot more regularly.
It’s a trade off between speed and consistency.

Its very much a question of the level of the golfer. High handicappers are inconsistent in strike location and speed, low ones more consistent. Most high handicappers would benefit from shorter than shop shafts. An inch is about 2mph to them. Thats a loss of 5 or 6yds in carry. But carry will vary by up to 40 yds depending on strike location. So the more consistent golfer wins the trade off and gains from the longer shaft. The lower skill golfer gains more from tightening the strike dispersion than he gains from the longer shaft. I would guess the manufacturers are knowingly selling clubs that are too long for most golfers and over time, will not travel as far. But the long shaft will delivery those few balls on the trackman or once in a couple of rounds.....proving the club could be longer once he get to grips with it and hits more of those centre strikes.....but unfortunately he probably never will. And loses out overall.

D

Deleted member 1147

Its very much a question of the level of the golfer. High handicappers are inconsistent in strike location and speed, low ones more consistent. Most high handicappers would benefit from shorter than shop shafts. An inch is about 2mph to them. Thats a loss of 5 or 6yds in carry. But carry will vary by up to 40 yds depending on strike location. So the more consistent golfer wins the trade off and gains from the longer shaft. The lower skill golfer gains more from tightening the strike dispersion than he gains from the longer shaft. I would guess the manufacturers are knowingly selling clubs that are too long for most golfers and over time, will not travel as far. But the long shaft will delivery those few balls on the trackman or once in a couple of rounds.....proving the club could be longer once he get to grips with it and hits more of those centre strikes.....but unfortunately he probably never will. And loses out overall.
As a 3 handicap do I count as one who benefits from a shorter shaft?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My driver is standard length. Works fine. Tried half an inch off. Also works well. Tbh you would hardly notice.
One of my other mates chopped an inch and a half off his. Wasnt too fussed on that.

I have a fairly flat swing so wouldn't be happy to go longer than standard. A wee touch off would probably be my preference on feel.

I wouldn't say I hit the shorter one better. Just a little more comfortable. Quite possibly all in the head.

phillarrow

Visit site

That's a really good point in every sense. ? Is easy to see how we would get suckered in by that one-in-a-hundred smash that goes a lot further than the average.

From what you're saying here, it's almost as if it would be a good idea for us to get properly fitted into shafts and shaft lengths that best suit our game isn't it?! I mean, I would go so far as to say that you're providing a "theoretical rationale" for why we should be properly fitted. ??

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's a really good point in every sense. ? Is easy to see how we would get suckered in by that one in a hundred smash that goes a lot further than the average.

From what you're saying here, it's almost as if it would be a good idea for us to get properly fitted into shafts and shaft lengths that best suit our game isn't it?! I mean, I would go so far as to say that you're providing a "theoretical rationale" for why we should be properly fitted. ??
But...but...but...........

RichA

Visit site
Experimented at the range at the weekend with a stiff steel shaft I removed from a knackered old Ping Eye 2 driver and epoxied into a Mizuno T-Zoid 10° head. It's about 42" long and the head is about the size of a modern 5-wood.
Into a strong wind it was only carrying about 160 yards with range balls, but it was surprisingly straight, compared to my M2 which I'm currently pulling (hooking) off every tee. Off low tees it gave a really low flight and was probably rolling an extra 30 yards.
It might actually be a useful weapon when the course dries out.

Boomy

Visit site
Picking the new shaft up from the DHL depot tomorrow so will try it at the range after work - get it set up ready to play at the weekend. Fingers crossed it builds on the success of the 3 wood shaft trial… or it’ll be in the for sale section in a couple of weeks ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Strange thing is that the best I can remember when driving was when I had a Ping tour shaft. Which was deffo shorter. I upgraded my driver to a 410 with a off the shelf shaft. suffice to say I had a “golden month“, but bottom line after a few expensive lessons am back to being rammel. Just this morning I have swopped the shaft in my fairway wood to see if there is any difference. I will find out on Tuesday. That said am sure it don’t compensate for a rammel swing. Which is fine with me three wood up to me wedges.
Just a quick update re the shaft swop. Rammel. Not one of my best ideas

Boomy

Visit site
Just a quick update re the shaft swop. Rammel. Not one of my best ideas

You might need to try it more than once Tashyboy - my first couple of outings with it were average at best and I played about with the loft on it as well. Like anything it can take time to fettle.