What is best from rough/bunkers,5 wood or 3 hybrid?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello friends,I am in sore need of a club between my 3 wood and 4 iron.So far I can't make up my mind between a Cleveland Launcher 3 hybrid and a Nike Dymo2 5 wood.I need this club for long fairway bunker shots,long shots out the rough,and sometimes off the tee.Can a fairway be used from bunkers? Will the wood go further? Which will be suited to tee shots? Please help,any comments appreciated as usual!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes, Yes and both!

I've got the Launcher 3i as well as the 4 wood and they both go a mile. I think a 5 wood might still leave a big gap to the 4 iron so I'd say the 3i would be the route to go. The launcher is easy to use from anywhere!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I haven't tried a 5w from a bunker, and would guess it is an aquired skill. A 3 hybrid might be ok, but I normally use a 5i, which I can pretty much guarantee will go about 170 out of a bunker, if it will clear the lip. Any thing longer is a risk, it may only go 50 yards, and that isn't a trade off I am willing to make.

I would say the 3 hybrid would be better from the rough, but the 5w would be longer in general.

Defo 5w from a tee, but tee it low.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I carry both a 5w (for tee shots on several par 3's and a couple of 2nd shots) and a 3h (distance out of light rough, several tee shots, position on par 5's). Both would get me out of a fairway bunker given a level lie and a flat face but I doubt I'd risk either in competitive play. I tend to find if I'm in a fairway bunker its best to take your medicine and try and leave a favourite distance in and hope to get it close and one putt