What driver should I buy?

G

guest100718

yes defo the MD out of those 2. There are some other real bargains to be had though. Lots of TM drivers.....

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much they cost tbh.

I'm not even sure whether I need regular shafts? I'm new to golf and had a couple of lessons. My instructor said I have a fast swing which is fine but need to become more consistent. However 50% of my drives are sliced and slowmo on the video analysis showed the club face open on contact with ball? Perservere with what I have or change?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A change of Driver/3Wd isn't going to change the fundamental problem, which is having the face open at impact - and probably an in to out swing.

Lessons, Drills and Practice are the way to sort that out.

And it just depends what the Pro means by 'fast' swing too. If it's about transition (from backswing to downswing), then going to a softer shaft could make things worse! If it's overall swing speed, then a softer shaft might help, but there's no guarantee! Best to borrow some and try imo. And of course, there is no standard for what Regular or Stiff actually feels like.

Of the 2 Drivers you linked to, the MD appears far superior. The shaft is probably better too, though if you hit the ball too low, the PL Blue will certainly help - way too high and spinny for me!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. He said my speed is between 95 and 110 mph which he said needs to become consistent. He encouraged me to slow my back swing so no issues with transition I don't think. He advised to stick but I've got this thing in my head that everything will be cured with a regular shaft!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much they cost tbh.

I'm not even sure whether I need regular shafts? I'm new to golf and had a couple of lessons. My instructor said I have a fast swing which is fine but need to become more consistent. However 50% of my drives are sliced and slowmo on the video analysis showed the club face open on contact with ball? Persevere with what I have or change?

what did the Pro say was the reason the face was still open.
did he pass any comment about needing to change equipment.
$'s you have probably better used at the moment getting a couple more lessons & finding the answer to those questions first.

usually the bigger issue in the equation of miss contacts or too much curvature on the flight, isn't down to the equipment.

spend the $'s you can afford on some lessons to get the shape & the sequence of the swing in better order.
save up a bit, then when you have a better idea of what you need to be looking for in a driver you'll maybes have a bit more money to spend on a better one.

one of the biggest considerations in getting a driver is the loft your swing speed & swing path would be better suited too.
so if you can save so later on afford to get an adjustable one gives you a bit of room for a Pro later on when the swing gets better to advise you what loft to change it too going forwards.
if that needs to happen at all you'd save money because you wouldn't need to change to a new driver, just the loft. but even if it that doesn't need to happen it would also give you a bit larger market in folks to sell it on to.

MattM

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What brand is your current driver?

I play an MD 10.5 deg Driver with a stiff shaft - Swing Speed 105-110 ish, I reckon it's as good as anything out there (and have demo'd a few).

Bad swings will give bad results whatever you're using though.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a nike ignite and the 3 wood is a mizuno t-zoid. I am only a beginner and plenty to improve on so think, based on the advice, I will stick with my current set until I know for sure that that's the problem.

MattM

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger used an Ignite driver apparently so not a bad club even if a few years old.

Newer technology may give you a few extra yards or slightly better dispersion, but a better swing will give you much more with the same gear.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A shout out here for a Cobra Biocell with standard stock shaft, hitting it very nicely at the moment and its a tad more forgiving than my older TM burner. My SS is around 105mph with the driver.