What age do you think is right to start having lessons?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take my son who turned 4 in March to the driving range with me and let him hit with his own junior clubs. I've shown him the basics (how to hold the club, where to stand etc) but apart from that I've just let him get on with hitting the ball and enjoying it rather than trying to coach him too much. A couple of times there have been others there who have said that he's doing certain things wrong and I should get him a lesson so he doesn't get into bad habits. My view is that he's still a bit young and at the moment I just want him to enjoy it and have some fun and once he's a couple of years older to pay for lessons if he still wants to play.

What do you guys think is the right age to start lessons for kids?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think if he can take instruction and still enjoy himself, then as early as possible. Every kid will be different dependant on their attitude and temperament.

The key at that age is to not put him off if he's enjoying it so much, fine balance.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Each kid is different; how does he take the instruction from you? If he's all ears & laps it up, it might be worth trying. If he looks bored & promptly ignores what you tell him you are wasting your time & money would be my thoughts. More importantly, what are the qualifications of those pointing out his "errors"; do they actually know what they are talking about? Finally, what are his shots like? If he is hitting reasonable shots and enjoying himself, I'd leave well alone.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My advice would be to get him involved in group sessions.
It makes it enjoyable and fun.
My son does them.
Also if you take him with you,encourage him,make sure hes doing what hes learnt in
the group sessions and let him get on with it.
Let him watch,trust me they will learn from watching you,just make sure your doing it
right to.
The day it stops being fun is the day they want to give up.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your club not do junior group coaching on Saturdays or something.
Ours does a few turns up they do groups of age 7 and less and they do little games

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kids generally start listening to the coach around 8 years old.
Everything needs to be kept light and fun up to and after then.
Group lessons are the best way to go
Nothing puts a kid off more than an embarrassing pushy parent.

My grandsons football coach stays with the boys from 6 year old to 16 year old. They have one coach for each years intake.
The difference in the team in one year is quite astonishing [he is 7] as the boys are starting to listen to what the coach says.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
coaching at my club starts for 6 years old, group coaching so a fun time and only 30 mins

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
My advice would be to get him involved in group sessions.
It makes it enjoyable and fun.
My son does them.
Also if you take him with you,encourage him,make sure hes doing what hes learnt in
the group sessions and let him get on with it.
Let him watch,trust me they will learn from watching you,just make sure your doing it
right to.
The day it stops being fun is the day they want to give up.

I would go with this,my little girl started going to the range at the age of 3 just hitting the odd ball and at the age of 4 she joined group lessons,like above make it fun,get the basics and most of all make it enjoyable,now she is 7 and has one to one coaching and really enjoys it .

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched 3 kids around 4 or 5 y/o having a joint lesson at the range the other night, I actually stopped hitting balls and watched them with a big smile on my face. They were really enjoying it & you could see the pro was aswell.

I reckon as soon as they are old enough to swing a club then go for it.