WGC World Match Play

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
The wife has let me watch the full golf for the last two nights, what a beaute! Great to see Casey and Poulter are still giving a good account of themselves, pity about Luke Donald, I was hoping he would make a real play for the title. If any of you have not been fortuitous enough to watch the match, whilst it may be nice and warm out in the Arizona dessert, the course itself isn't much of challenge, but the pins place literally feet away from the edge of the greens making it a real risk/reward for aggressive play. Moreover if ever I have seen a great example of how the important the short game is, this is it; if you don't get up and down, you effectively lose, harsh but very rewarding! It is also noted that everyone is saying how tough and exhausting each round is, roll on Match Play!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How did Bradley Dredge manage to beat Ernie? Was he playing very well or was Els having an off day...or was it a combination of both? I haven't seen any of it but I heard that result on the news.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree - this tournament is grabbing the imagination this year. What about Justin Rose! Great win over Mickelson and I fancy him to beat Chaz Howell too. In that case he could get Poulter in the next round which would guarantee a Brit in the quarters. I'm afraid the trophy's already got Tiger's name on it though.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I would love to see a final with Casey and Tiger; admittedly Tiger looks like whoever he draws he intends to demolish, but equally I feel Casey would relish the challenge and he is playing well! Muttleee in answer to your question I think it was a bit of both. Sad the way Monty went out, on his last hole he got stuck in the desert growth right next to the green and scuffed it having to pick up his ball and concede, not nice.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a great event because each round is a sprint - anyone can beat anyone. Els lost to Dredge because he went down to a birdie early on and couldn't get back.
I'd love to see Casey win it - I think he's got the confidence to give Tiger a run for his money.

As for Darren Clarke, was really sorry to see him loose in the opening round... NOT!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Have missed most of the week im afraid but this final is great stuff-really exciting and some great golf being played by both guys. Think we will see a lot of Stenson and Ogilvy this year.

This really feels like the start of the season to me..

And i bet Sky Sports are delighted that one of the few American events they still have is turning out to be a cracker.