WGC-HSBC Champions: Reed in Trouble Again

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Patrick Reed's popularity continues to soar. He was heard on TV during the WGC-HSBC profusely swearing at himself for three-putting on the 1st. He was heard saying:

"Good f'ing three-putt you f'ing f****t. Go hang yourself"

Not good for the game, and not going to be good for his bank balance. Looks set for a hefty fine from the PGA. Thoughts?

Outside of Reed, it looks like it's going to be a much better tournament this week. The field is incredibly strong with the likes of Garcia, McDowell, Westwood, Fowler, Stenson, Scott and Horschel joining the guys that competed last week in the first Race to Dubai Final Series event. The guys that were away on the PGA Tour last week have started well too. McDowell leads after a 5-under par 67, and he's followed by the likes of Snedeker, Fowler, Westwood and Spieth. Ian Poulter has started okay too, carding a solid 2-under 70. Should be a good tournament. I've backed Sergio as my Fantasy Captain this week, so hopefully he'll put together a better second round tomorrow!

Last edited:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesnt bode well if he's that angry on the first green. Anyhow, just watched the highlights on the European Tour website....there's hardly anybody there! Despite such a decent field. There were better crowds at the World Matchplay last month. There's one point in the vid where Rickie Fowler is playing to what appears to be the 18th and the stand is almost completely empty! Is there no interest for watching golf in China?

D

Deleted member 15344

He also decided to spear his club straight into the turf after dunking it into water on the 18th

The fans will always be sparse over there

As with a lot of tournaments over there it's down to sponsership money

Golf as a participation has increased quite dramatically in China

And it is good that at least they have a WGC over there - no need to move one to SA , one to Europe and have a fair split around the world

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Doesnt bode well if he's that angry on the first green. Anyhow, just watched the highlights on the European Tour website....there's hardly anybody there! Despite such a decent field. There were better crowds at the World Matchplay last month. There's one point in the vid where Rickie Fowler is playing to what appears to be the 18th and the stand is almost completely empty! Is there no interest for watching golf in China?

It was his 10th hole

Silly outburst but understandable, we've all threw a few choice words out there when we mess up

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site

And this was just a 18 hole 2 man exhibition match last year........:rofl:
Rory-McIlroy-Tiger-Woods_t640_zps945a7538.jpg

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Patrick needs somebody to put their arm around him and explain to him that cursing like that is unacceptable.

If you are going to curse you need to do it properly :rofl:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
He needs someone to help him with that, not good for his day!

How would it be handled in other sports being as it was to himself?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really quite like young Patrick. He's already apologised for the outburst on Twitter. Quick fine and let it go.

Come on Paddy, show'em how it's done lad.

D

Deleted member 15344

The video is on Twitter - it's pretty much the same as what we have all done at one point in the past

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This makes me like him more, not less. Sounds almost word for word the sort of talking to I would give myself after a horror hole.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trouble is the f word (the noun) can be taken as being homophobic. I don't think this will end with a simple fine. I am sure he is not homophobic but the PFA Tour will want to send a message.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trouble is the f word (the noun) can be taken as being homophobic. I don't think this will end with a simple fine. I am sure he is not homophobic but the PFA Tour will want to send a message.

The tour have announced they will be sanctioning him (but nothing ever made public so probably a meaningless fine). He made a bland apology on social media