Weymouth Golf

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to be on holiday there in the summer, have been a few times but never took my clubs.

Anywhere nearby that I should head to for a round?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weymouth, Came Down between Weymouth and Dorchester, Yeovil half an hours drive North of Dorchester, Lyme Regis further West along the Coast.

Bridport (West Bay) if you are desperate and a person who sprays the ball around a lot.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wareham GC - good breakfast, not keen on course.
Dorset Golf & Country Club, great breakfast, nice track.
Bovington Tank Museum- even HID thought it was a good day out.

Took the kids to the Tank Museum, they were not so keen have to say i thought it was fantastic.

Closest to me are Came Down and Weymouth GC, are these worth a look or are others worth the drive?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Plenty of good golf in the Poole/Bournemouth area. There is Broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown and Isle of Purbeck all within 30-60 mins or so. Cheaper options include Knighton Heath and Meyrick Park.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Weymouth, Came Down between Weymouth and Dorchester, Yeovil half an hours drive North of Dorchester, Lyme Regis further West along the Coast.

Bridport (West Bay) if you are desperate and a person who sprays the ball around a lot.

Not in Summer if the grow the rough up like they normally do!

If Broadchurch is to believed fair chance of police everywhere.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As above, the rough at Bridport is a nightmare during the normal playing season. If you don’t want to travel stick with Came Down or Weymouth. They might not be in the premier league with the Bournemouth courses but they are OK. Both are private members clubs and are kept in decent condition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm easy really normally play parkland, not sure there is too much links golf about that way?

As already said, no links golf in that immediate area.

I have never played there but maybe Barton on Sea (east of Bournemouth) is considered a links course from what I have heard and from the pictures.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not in Summer if the grow the rough up like they normally do!

If Broadchurch is to believed fair chance of police everywhere.

We once went there as group of twenty or so players and the winner on the day probably would have lost ten balls at Yeovil. He was spraying it so wide he was landing on the adjacent fairway.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We once went there as group of twenty or so players and the winner on the day probably would have lost ten balls at Yeovil. He was spraying it so wide he was landing on the adjacent fairway.

That'll be why he didn't lose many balls then :D

And Barton on Sea definitely isn't a links course.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d go Dorset CC. Or isle of purbeck. I’d give wareham a miss unless it was across the road. I’ve never played Weymouth or came down

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems that Wareham is definitely one of those like/hate courses. Maybe its the variation of the old nine and the new nine totally different 'feel' between the two. It definitely needs a good game in play for the old nine.

I played Isle of Purbeck for the first time last year (they previously would not allow buggies) and was very disappointed with the speed of the greens for a course played in the middle of summer.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that I was only going by the overheads views on the website/google maps.

It has been one of my 'should play' courses for some time.
It’s got a Linksy feel on a couple of holes, but its most certainly a Parkland course on a cliff top. Worth a trip though