West Middlesex?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do people know about this place? I played there about three years ago, and the course was a bit odd in places (crossing a main road to get to the next tee at one stage, then teeing off over an old house on another hole) but fairly enjoyable as I recall. In a bit of a run-down area. And then I heard there were in big financial trouble not long after that, administration and whatnot. But they're still going and Bad Golf on YouTube played there quite recently and had high praise for it. I've booked it in with a mate on the bank holiday Thursday to give it another look, I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened with the administration situation and whether it's decent at the moment? Only £30 green fee so no harm done if it's rubbish really.

sunshine

Visit site
It was up for sale and in trouble but seems to have come through. Maybe the pandemic bounce came just in the nick of time. A banqueting venue for Indian weddings has been built on some land near the clubhouse which must be bringing in revenue.

I used to play it quite often 15-20 years ago when I lived in Ealing, quite quirky and fun course. I like the short par 4 3rd with a blind approach to a hidden elevated green. Also the 13th with the drive over the pump house. I used to be able to aim right of the house and clear the dogleg, don’t hit it like that any more ☹️

There is a council estate overlooking it, so If you play there in the evening or during the school holidays expect local chavs running around and hiding in the bushes.

Grizzly

Visit site
The sale was because the owners wanted out rather than pure financial difficulty (oddly, a mate and I dallied with the idea of bidding. Long story!).

The course is quirky: there are a few blind shots and 90 degree dog legs, a lot of the tee boxes are not level and there is too much litter due to the public rights of way. But the greens and most of their surrounds are actually very good, which means you wont regret the green fee.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was up for sale and in trouble but seems to have come through. Maybe the pandemic bounce came just in the nick of time. A banqueting venue for Indian weddings has been built on some land near the clubhouse which must be bringing in revenue.

I used to play it quite often 15-20 years ago when I lived in Ealing, quite quirky and fun course. I like the short par 4 3rd with a blind approach to a hidden elevated green. Also the 13th with the drive over the pump house. I used to be able to aim right of the house and clear the dogleg, don’t hit it like that any more ☹️

There is a council estate overlooking it, so If you play there in the evening or during the school holidays expect local chavs running around and hiding in the bushes.
Well it's bank holiday Thursday, but my 6'2 brick s-house mate is playing with us so I imagine they'd give us a wide berth regardless. :LOL:

I remember the hole with the random house in the middle, I can't remember how far you need to hit to carry past it though. I think given that I typically fade the ball it's easier to go around the left of it anyway.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a perfectly fine Middlesex course. We're not blessed with them in the county, but there's some interesting holes at West Mid, and by all accounts, the conditioning has got much better over the last couple of years. Probably helped by some stability on the running of the club side - although my understanding was that it was more a council/lease issue with the land on which it's built, rather than people trying to make cash out of the place.

As a few have said, council estate nearby doesn't help as you often get people wandering on the course - although plenty of good courses in Surrey (Worplesdon, New Zealand) also require a walk across a main road - albeit, there's is a little more picturesque.