Weird seeing your own swing?

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I've just been down the driving range to hit a few balls. I didn't have my clubs with me but I had an old driver so just hit a few with that. Something didn't feel quite right with my swing so I decided to film it. Having never seen my own swing before I think it looks awful! It looks far too quick and it doesn't look like I'm transferring my weight very well at all. Don't know if it was just because I wasnt really concentrating as it's an old driver but I definately need to start having some lessons I think.

Feel free to rip it to bits and hopefully this will be the "before" swing and my "after" swing will be much better :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4Rk_Kz5co

Last edited:

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Phil, much appreciated. What was I doing wrong?

Haha thanks, I got a bit carried away with the theatre editor on COD, oopps

Last edited:

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Phil, much appreciated. What was I doing wrong?

Haha thanks, I got a bit carried away with the theatre editor on COD, oopps

no bother, i know this thread is about your swing, but if you search on utube, how to annoy people call of duty, its quite funny.

ps it was the google chrome desktop extension that was mucking up the link i think.

Phil

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I dont normally comment on the technical stuff but if you stop the video at the top of your swing you will see that your overswing makes John Daly look short and compact. Much of the setup and swing doesn't look too bad to me and it's a fairly rhythmic swing but where you get to at the top makes you cast from the top and the swing looks (and really has to be) "out to in" which would generally lead to a ball slicing.

I would suggest that you go into the main Golf Monthly site, look at the instruction videos and pick one where a pro uses a driver to see how much shorter and less across the line they get at the top of the swing

Chris

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Set up ok. The most noticeable thing is your arms swing independently of shoulders. Arms start the takeaway and shoulders left behind initially. At top shoulders are good at 90 deg turn but your arms and wrist hinge massively overswing the club!! One piece takeaway and three quarter swing would be good way to go IMHO. Just my opinion! :cool:

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, something felt really weird when I was swinging the club that day so I'm not sure I normally swing like that but obviously can't be sure as I've never seen my own swing before. It was my old driver and was only hitting with it as I didn't have my clubs with me and that weird feeling was what prompted me to film it. Definitely time for some lessons I think.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As said previously you do overswing and come back down very steep without enough rotation in your lower body.

I think that if you could keep your arms wide in the backswing and introduce a pause with your upper body at the top so that your hips start the downswing and your shoulders and arms follow just behind, you will drop the club down into the slot and hit from the inside with more power and better direction.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its been said before , you are over swinging. Nice smooth swing though and I personally dont think moving the club away with just your arms initially is a bad thing - you look like you complete your shoulder turn which is important to get the club in the right position at the top. But you are allowing the club to travel beyond parallel.

2 schools of thought about how to swing - arm swing or using the body to move the club. You fall into the former category and so do I.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Again thanks for the advice guys. I never realised how much I over swing and it's never been pointed out to me before. Went to the range this afternoon and tried shortening my swing and really struggled with it, lots of miss hit shots etc. I'm planning on booking some lessons to try and sort this out so thanks for the advice everyone. If I manage to sort it I'll post the results at a later date.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd say the main swing thought you need is most of the power from a golf swing is created from rotating your body to which you arms should stay connected, though your swing is the other way round its seems to be based around your swinging arms to which you body is "loosely" connected, hope that makes sense

Last edited: