WEDGES

Twilight1972

Visit site
Hi looking for advice on best way forward.
Had a club fitting through my pro which resulted in a 1deg upright and 1/2 longer club than was using (standard lie loft previously) 2020.
The Mizuno MP20 HMB irons I've bought are great and although the change in set up took some getting used too I feel i get the benefit now from the irons especially with ball flight.

Issue i have is i matched up 2 x Mizuno S20 wedges 52 and 57 degree same set up and grip but with wedge flex shafts (thought that would give me more feel) which i just cant get any consistancy with and have basically same faults
1/ high and right and short (playing off front foot)
2/ low but straight (playing towards back foot)
3/ shank which ive never had issues with before.
They also feel dull off the face compared to the HMB (and my old cleveland wedges) and although Ive learned to work with them around the green I'm still lacking the consistant strike to feel confident.

What should I think about changing going forward?
i.e. Brand, shaft, model etc

D

Deleted member 3432

I really dislike wedge flex shafts and match the shafts with my irons.

Not sure the shaft is the cause of the shanks however.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi looking for advice on best way forward.
Had a club fitting through my pro which resulted in a 1deg upright and 1/2 longer club than was using (standard lie loft previously) 2020.
The Mizuno MP20 HMB irons I've bought are great and although the change in set up took some getting used too I feel i get the benefit now from the irons especially with ball flight.

Issue i have is i matched up 2 x Mizuno S20 wedges 52 and 57 degree same set up and grip but with wedge flex shafts (thought that would give me more feel) which i just cant get any consistancy with and have basically same faults
1/ high and right and short (playing off front foot)
2/ low but straight (playing towards back foot)
3/ shank which ive never had issues with before.
They also feel dull off the face compared to the HMB (and my old cleveland wedges) and although Ive learned to work with them around the green I'm still lacking the consistant strike to feel confident.

What should I think about changing going forward?
i.e. Brand, shaft, model etc
Can't comment about the particular wedges as don't know what S20s are.
But just a point about 'Wedge' flex....Shafts are made, then measured for flex (not made 'to' a specific flex). 'Wedge' flex shafts are those that are between Reg and Stiff (out of range for both/either) - so put into a head where flex isn't (deemed) 'important'. Nothing to do with tuning them for their specific task!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing to get out of your head is the shanks. This is totally unrelated to the shaft. I have a mix of shafts and can do it with an
Comments 1 and 2 lead more to a swing fault in my opinion.

Twilight1972

Visit site
OK thanks all... yes agree the shanks are more to do with extra length of club and set up....but only done with wedges so maybe its just head shape and hand eye set up issue.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've got the same wedges, mizuno now only seem to come in S 400 tour which are a tighter spec than just the standard wedge flex which were s200 before. More to do with the lie change I'd imagine, though mizuno have standardised there length and lie in line with other OEM. Stick with them and learn to hit them, don't fall into the trap of just getting new clubs without giving these a chance.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d personally have a short game lesson with your pro, explain the changes made and get him to get his eye over your set up. The fact you have changed both lie and length would indicate your set up will now be more natural to your swing and not manipulated as it would have been in your previous spec. Your wedge set up may just need a tweak.