Wedges Selections Help?

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm currently think about changing my entire wedge set up, Ive made mistakes selling wedges i thought i didn't need and then bought wedges i didn't use.

I'm using X22s and my PW is 45 degree and as usual SW is 56 and i have also a vokey 62 degree wedge

I'm asking for any recommendations on loft selections, how many wedges you think is best, Brands of wedges best you think?

Do you think i should lose the X22 SW that comes with the set or buy new one?

Cheers

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
personally, i have a matching gap wedge around 50 if PW is 45, then i would probaly go 54, 58.
Only you know how useful your 62 vokey is and how confident you feel with it. If you are happy with vokey and budget allows then go for 2 more or consider keeping the 62 and adding a 56. I would lend away from the X22 SW but as with putter wedges make and loft are quite a pesonal choice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wedge set ups are pretty personal IMO.

Do you prefer hitting full(er) shots into greens or being a little more creative?

If you want the full(er) shot option you could look to 4 wedges. Something like PW - 50°, 54° and 58°.

If you want to be a little more creative, 3 wedges is more than enough. Somethig like 50° aand 56° along side your PW.

As for makes, again, personal preference.

I don't believe any of the OEM's make a bad wedge these days. Try a few and see what you fancy.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
your post strongly suggests you are searching for magic wedges; despite what's frequently implied in posts on forums, or manufacturer's marketing material, they don't exist (or Santa Claus bought them all :))

based purely on the PW SW LW you currently have, it seems generally accepted that something in the 50-52 range makes a lot of sense for general clubbing - but even this is personal as if you don't use you SW as a normal distance club at all you are effectively filling a gap you don't have! Personally I am currently carrying PW, 52, 60 and using the latter from sand - if I visit somewhere with deep soft sand the 56-12 goes in the bag and someting else comes out.

brands don't matter as much as the confidence any particular club gives you.

frankly, spend the money with a professional on how to use what you have.

A

Alex1975

I too would be 50, 54, 58. Ditch the X22 56 and the Vokey 62. I am seriously in love with my Mizuno MP R12 wedges, give them a try!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me 4 deg between wedges is the golden ratio. It gives me 20 yards between each, so PW 48, GW 52, SW 56 and LW 60, works out just right.